Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Kaeo flood risk reduction works progressing well

Kaeo flood risk reduction works progressing well

Work on a $700,000 project designed to reduce some of the worst impacts and risks from the flooding that plagues Kaeo is on schedule and now more than 50 percent complete.

Bruce Howse, Land/Rivers Senior Programme Manager for the Northland Regional Council, says the work on the project began late last year and aims to protect the town from destructive, high-speed floodwater rushing through it.

Mr Howse says while the scheme includes a roughly 1km long network of three-metre high stopbanks, it is not designed (nor intended to) stop flooding from occurring.

“What it is designed to do is to deflect damaging, high-speed floodwaters away from the town with a series of stopbanks and essentially convert it into slow-speed ‘back-water’ flooding.”

Mr Howse says the work – at this stage expected to be finished on schedule at the end of next month – is being funded via a roughly 50/50 split between central government ($386,000) and a targetted rate on approximately 2200 local properties.

He says good progress has been made to date overall, with a several-hundred metre long flood wall on the Whangaroa College grounds complete and scheme drainage and the works’ main stopbank from the Pohue Pa to the college progressing well. A large spillway cut upstream of those works was also about 50% complete.

Mr Howse says collectively, the Kaeo works will slow the speed of future floods and should make them much less damaging and dangerous.

“It’s definitely not a ‘silver bullet’ solution but it will make it easier for residents to protect flood-prone properties with sandbags and other tools like flood shutters.”

“Kaeo is built on a floodplain and has flooded for as long as recorded history. Its position and local geography means a practical and affordable solution to stop flooding from happening competely is simply not possible.”

Meanwhile, Mr Howse says a temporary river crossing for machinery to haul earth across the Kaeo River from the spillway to the stopbanks has also been working well.

“The temporary crossing enables material to be hauled across the river with no unnecessary disturbance to the river bed from machinery movements, preventing sediment from being stirred up and maintaining water clarity.”

Mr Howse says even with grass seeding and tidying up works (which are dependent on favourable weather/ growing conditions) the council still expects the project will be completed on schedule by end of March.

He says the first real test of the banks could happen at any time, but most likely will come during an event where accumulated rainfall exceeds 100 mm in less than 24 hours.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news