Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Residents urged to have their say on the sale of legal highs

10 February 2014

Waikato district Mayor urges residents to have their say on the sale of legal highs

People have until next Monday 17 February to have their say on where psychoactive substances should be sold in the Waikato district.

The consultation is part of Waikato District Council’s proposed psychoactive substances policy, which is a result of the Council wanting to restrict the sale of legal highs in the district.

Waikato district Mayor Allan Sanson said Council is completely against the sale of these substances but as the government has not created a law against them, having a strong policy in place is the only tool available.

“The Psychoactive Substances Act 2013 (the Act), passed by Government, allows for community input into where retailers of legal highs may be located. What we are talking about here are addictive, mind-altering substances that can and do have fatal results, so Council is seeking your input into Waikato district’s response to this Act.”

The decision about whether a business can or cannot sell them is made by the independent Psychoactive Substances Regulatory Authority.

Mayor Sanson encouraged people to put forward their submissions, saying the opinion of residents would be crucial in finalising the policy.

“We owe it to our community to be united in our approach, so please get your views and submissions to us.”

As of Monday 10 February, 24 submissions had been received, 13 of which came from Te Kauwhata, seven from Raglan, two from Ngaruawahia and one from both Huntly and Tuakau.

The Council’s proposed policy aims to restrict the location of retail stores selling legal highs to commercial zones in Ngaruawahia, Huntly, Raglan, Te Kauwhata and Tuakau and kept out of residential areas.

The retailers would not be allowed within 50 metres of ‘sensitive sites’, eg places predominantly frequented by families and/or people under 18 years old, and can’t be within 100 metres of another retailer selling the substances.

Government legislation effective from last July stipulates that legal highs cannot be sold from dairies, supermarkets, service stations or liquor outlets, and cannot be sold to anyone under 18. Manufacturers and retailers require licences and are required to list the ingredients.

Submissions on the proposed policy can be made until noon on Monday 17 February, after which they will be formally considered at a Council meeting. Hearings are anticipated to be held in late February 2014.

A copy of the proposed policy can be viewed at all our offices and libraries, on our website: www.waikatodistrict.govt.nz/Have-your-say/Public-consultation/Proposed-Psychoactive-Substances.aspx or by calling us on 0800 492 452, along with submission forms.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On The Inquiry Into One Case Of Dirty Politics

Suddenly, we’re awash in inquiries and reviews. (It feels almost as if the Greens won the last election.) Caught out by the damning inquiry by SIS Inspector-General Cheryl Gwyn, the government’s response yesterday was utterly in character – it released two other major reports at the same time to try and distract public attention...

Inquiries are supposed to re-assure the public. What these inquiry outcomes share in common is a government culture of zero responsibility. More>>

IGIS: Statement On Early Report Release

As the Inspector-General stated at the release of the report yesterday morning, she is examining what steps to take over the early disclosure of information from the report... Ms Gwyn said that she was aware of Mr Goff's subsequent statements that he had disclosed some information concerning findings in the report. She will be seeking further information from Mr Goff and others. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS ON SIS:

 
 

Parliament Today:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

White Ribbon Day: Govt Resumes Sexual Violence Trial Proceedings Work

Justice Minister Amy Adams has asked the Law Commission to resume work on proposals for better supporting victims of sexual violence through the criminal process. The Law Commission will revisit its previous work on alternative pre-trial and trial processes to identify options for improving complainants’ experience in court. More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news