Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


NZTA to lodge consent for link to Ruakura developent

Transport Agency to lodge consent which will allow for interchange to link to proposed Ruakura development

The New Zealand Transport Agency says it intends to lodge later this month the Notice of Requirement (NoR) to alter the designation for the Hamilton section of the Waikato Expressway. The move will allow for an interchange at Ruakura to link the Hamilton section of the Expressway with the proposed Ruakura development.

Since the Transport Agency’s public information days held in May 2013, Tainui Group Holdings (TGH) has lodged a Private Plan Change (PPC) request with the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA). This has been accepted by the Minister for the Environment, meaning the TGH application will be heard and considered by an independent Board of Inquiry (BOI), with hearings starting in May 2014.

TGH’s PPC application requests provision for development at Ruakura which includes a freight and logistics terminal (inland port) adjacent to both the existing rail corridor and what will be the Hamilton section of the Waikato Expressway. In order to limit the amount of freight traffic using local roads in the area, the Transport Agency’s proposed interchange will be located close to the Ruakura development.

An interchange at Ruakura has been previously identified as an option for the Expressway. This would include the closure of part of Ruakura Road where the Expressway passes over it. Now that the BOI process is underway, the Transport Agency intends to lodge an alteration to the current designation to provide for an interchange at Ruakura.

If the Ruakura interchange proceeds, there will be no connection where the Expressway crosses Morrinsville road, as currently designated.

The Transport Agency’s Project Services Manager, Peter Simcock says the intention is to lodge the alteration to designation for the Ruakura interchange with both the Hamilton City and Waikato District councils on Friday 21 February 2014.

“By lodging the alteration to designation for the Hamilton Section, we hope to provide clarity in regards to our intentions, but we also want to be careful as to not complicate the current Board of Inquiry process, so it is likely that we will request the NoR application be placed on hold rather than be formally notified at this stage,” says Mr Simcock.

“This lodgement also allows us to formally signal our intentions regarding the Ruakura interchange to all parties to the BOI process, while ensuring the Transport Agency has the opportunity to amend the proposed interchange arrangements to respond appropriately to the BOI decision.”

Once the application has been lodged with the two respective councils, Mr Simcock says the Transport Agency will also make the information available on their project website (www.nzta.govt.nz/hamilton).

When the formal notification process begins submissions to the Notice of Requirement to alter the designation of the Hamilton section of the Expressway will be invited by both councils, he says.

END

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news