Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Emergency preparedness on the rise

Emergency preparedness on the rise

Householders within the Horizons Region are Getting Ready to Get Thru according to the results of a Statistics New Zealand survey on emergency preparedness released today.

Data collected as part of the 2012 General Social Survey shows a 7.8 per cent increase in the number of Manawatu-Wanganui households equipped with emergency food and water for three days and an emergency plan between 2008 and 2012.

It aligns with findings of the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management’s 2013 annual preparedness survey in which 31 per cent of households within the Horizons Region felt they were prepared at home.

Horizons emergency manager Ian Lowe says while preparedness figures are climbing, the best time to get ready is before disaster strikes.

“Our Region’s had a bit of a shake-up recently with the Eketahuna quake. Our communities coped remarkably well and we were lucky that damage levels were relatively low.

“However, it is a reminder that disasters can strike at any time and had the outcome been different, people may have had to call upon their emergency supplies,” he says.

Mr Lowe says it’s important that households create a plan to look after themselves and their loved ones for at least three days or more. This should include such things as where to meet up after a disaster, where to store emergency survival items and what to include in a get-away kit.

“It’s not just earthquakes,” Mr Lowe says. “In this Region, like many places in New Zealand, we are susceptible to a range of hazards including flooding, tsunami and volcanic activity.

“This time 10 years ago, flooding was a major issue for many within our Region. We have made huge strides in terms of flood protection, planning and monitoring since then but it is a good opportunity to look back, remember what we overcame and think about how we might get through a similar event in the future.”

Representatives from the Manawatu-Wanganui Civil Defence and Emergency Management Group will be present at this year’s Central District Field Days on sites E30-32 March 13-15.

For further advice or information on emergency preparedness, contact your local council’s Civil Defence Emergency Management Office or visit www.getthru.govt.nz

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news