Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Banners on the Beach to Oppose Deep Sea Drilling


Banners on the Beach to Oppose Deep Sea Drilling

At 12 noon on Saturday Oil Free Otago will be hosting a Banners on the Beach event at St Clair Beach in Dunedin. The event is part of a South Island day of action when at least 18 communities from, Golden Bay to Bluff, will gather on a local beach to voice their opposition to deep sea drilling off the coasts of New Zealand.

This week Anadarko's drillship, arrived 60km off the Dunedin coast to begin drilling their deep sea oil and gas exploration well. They were met by community leaders on board two yachts from the Oil Free Otago Flotilla who outlined their concerns for the drilling plans, and requested that Anadarko leave New Zealand waters.

"After meeting the drillship last week, it's important that our community stands up against deep sea drilling, to let Anadarko know that the opposition is not going to go away," said Niamh O'Flynn, spokesperson for Oil Free Otago.

The drillship will be drilling off the coast of Tairoa Heads for approximately 30 days before moving to the Gulf of Mexico. Anadarko will then decide whether the results of the exploratory drill make commercial drilling in Otago waters economically viable.

"Whether they find oil or gas, or nothing at all, our job in the long term is to make sure that Anadarko abandons its drilling plans, for the sake of our climate, and to make way for innovative, clean technology," said O'Flynn.


ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Shifting Goalposts: New 2030 Emissions Target Is Weaker - Expert

Minister Tim Groser said the new climate change target is a significant increase on the current target of 5 percent below 1990 emissions levels by 2020... the 2030 target gives New Zealand “10 extra years to produce very little extra reduction”. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Continues To Fail Students With Special Needs

Children with special needs are continuing to miss out on inclusive education because of an under-resourced and underfunded system, says NZEI Te Riu Roa President Louise Green. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Where Greece Goes From Here

As one candid British commentator tried to come to grips with why his confident prediction of a “Yes” vote in Greece has failed so resoundingly, he said that he’d made that prediction from his own viewpoint – as someone with savings to protect. But most Greek people, he suddenly realised, didn’t have that concern anymore after five years of austerity. Duh. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Cabinet Presser: EQC Reform, Greece & Surplus Stimulation

Prime Minister John key discussed proposals for reform of the EQC act and the Greek economic crisis at a press conference in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

GCSB/NZSIS: Intelligence And Security Reviewers Seek Public’s Views

“We are seeking public submissions to help us determine what issues to focus on during the review,” says Sir Michael Cullen. “We want to hear your views on what the GCSB and NZSIS should be doing to protect New Zealand and how they should do it.” More>>

Education: Schools Funded To Trial Innovative Approaches

Education Minister Hekia Parata has announced the successful applicants for a new $10 million fund to encourage innovative teaching practices. “I’m delighted with the quality of the 39 projects that have won funding in the first round of the Teacher-led Innovation Fund worth a total of about $2.6 million,” says Ms Parata. More>>

ALSO:

Generation Zero: Skypath Granted Resource Consent

Generation Zero is delighted and relieved that the ‘Skypath’ walking and cycling addition to the Harbour Bridge has been granted resource consent. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Two New Auckland Special Housing Areas

Two new greenfield Special Housing Areas (SHAs) that will provide up to 1800 new homes in Auckland have been announced today by Building and Housing Minister Dr Nick Smith and Mayor Len Brown. More>>

ALSO:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
More RSS  RSS
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news