Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Emergency Preparedness Improves But More Work Needed

Household Emergency Preparedness Improves But More Work to Be Done

Ruapehu residents are better prepared to look after themselves in the event of a civil defence emergency.

Results from the 2012 General Social Survey and the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management’s 2013 Annual Preparedness Survey both show an increase in the number of households that felt they were prepared for a civil defence emergency.

Ruapehu District Council Emergency Management Officer, Nick Watson, said it was very pleasing that the survey results indicate that people are better equipped to look after themselves in the event of a major civil defence emergency.

“The civil defence preparedness ‘golden rule’ for all households is that they should have an emergency plan and be prepared to be self-sufficient with emergency food and water for three days,” he said.

“The 2012 General Social Survey results show a 7.8% increase over four years in the number of households in the Manawatu-Wanganui region, which Ruapehu is part of, are following this ‘golden rule’.”

“The Ministry’s own 2013 survey across the Horizons Regional Council zone, which also encompasses Ruapehu, found that 31% of households said that they are prepared for a civil defence emergency.”

Mr Watson said that while the increasing level of preparedness is encouraging many households could be better prepared.

“The diesel contamination of the Raetihi water supply last year which saw the township without potable reticulated (tap) water for two weeks is a good example of how emergencies can strike in any form and at any time.

“This event required a major multi-agency civil defence response effort including the house-to-house delivery of emergency drinking water supplies,” he said.

“Council is hoping that the Raetihi community who were supplied with drinking water containers as part of the response has put them to good use as part of their three day self-sufficiency preparation.”

“Everyone reading this should ask themselves if a major earthquake, volcanic eruption or other disaster struck right now how prepared would my family be to find each other and survive for three days.”

Mr Watson noted that there was plenty of easily obtainable advice on putting together a household emergency plan and three day survival kit

“People can visit www.getthru.govt.nz for advice and downloadable information or could call me directly via their nearest Ruapehu District Council office.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news