Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Secondary schools art competition returns for second year

17 February 2014

Secondary schools art competition returns for second year

Entries for this year’s secondary school art competition in the Waikato / Coromandel are open again with senior school artists having until 1 April to enter their work.

The competition is being supported by Creative Waikato and sponsored by Paterson Burn Optometrists. It is the second year of the competition after its inaugural year last year.

Two thousand dollars in cash prizes are being offered as part of the 2014 Excellence in Art Competition. Prize money is split between winning artists and their schools.

Last year there were 64 entries from year 12 and 13 art students in Waikato / Coromandel areas. The theme for this year’s event is “I see …”.

Students will again have the opportunity to sell their artworks in an on-line auction. They will receive 80 per cent of the proceeds with 20 per cent being donated to Diabetes New Zealand.

All artworks will be displayed at Paterson Burn branches throughout the region before being exhibited at Creative Waikato’s gallery in mid April.

The winners of the Excellence in Art Competition will be announced at the awards presentation on Thursday 8 May.

Senior Paterson Burn Optometrists partner Adrian Paterson says they are delighted to again support the competition as a way of inspiring and encouraging emerging artists and rewarding creativity in the region.

“We were very pleased with the way the competition ran last year and also impressed with the standard of artworks entered. We believe we have the opportunity to create a legacy event for the region and so we are continuing our support,” he says.

Entry forms and additional information about the Excellence in Art Competition is available on the Paterson Burn website www.patersonburn.co.nz/art .

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Drone Strikes And Judith Collins‘ Last Stand

The news that a New Zealand citizen was killed last November in a US drone attack in Yemen brings the drones controversy closer to home.

To the US, drones are a legitimate response to the threat posed by the al Qaeda organisation and its franchisees... To the US, the drones carry the added advantage of not putting US troops at risk on the ground, and minimises the need for putting them in large numbers in bases in the countries concerned, always a politically sensitive point.

The counter-argument, well articulated by security analyst Paul Buchanan on RNZ this morning, is that this particular drone attack can be said to amount to an extra-judicial execution of a New Zealand citizen by one of our military allies, in circumstances where the person concerned posed no threat to New Zealand’s domestic security. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Policies: Labour’s Economic Upgrade For Manufacturing

Labour Leader David Cunliffe has today announced his Economic Upgrade for the manufacturing sector – a plan that will create better jobs and higher wages. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Life And ACC Work Of Sir Owen Woodhouse

With the death of Sir Owen Woodhouse, the founding father of the Accident Compensation Scheme, New Zealand has lost one of the titans of its post-war social policy. More>>

ALSO:

Bad Transnationals: Rio Tinto Wins 2013 Roger Award

It won the 2011 Roger Award and was runner up in 2012, 2009 and 08. One 2013 nomination said simply and in its entirety: “Blackmailing country”... More>>

ALSO:

Select Committees: Tobacco Plain Packaging Hearings

The Stroke Foundation is today backing the Cancer Society and Smokefree Coalition who are making oral submissions to the Health Select Committee in support of proposed legislation to remove of all branding from tobacco products. More>>

ALSO:

Milk: Oravida Asked For Cabinet Help

New evidence released by New Zealand First today reveals Justice Minister Judith Collins used her position to manipulate the Government to help her husband’s company, Oravida, after the Fonterra botulism scare, says New Zealand First Leader Rt Hon Winston Peters. More>>

ALSO:

With Conditions: Ruataniwha Consents Approved In Draft Decision

The Tukituki Catchment Proposal Board of Inquiry has granted 17 resource consents relating to the $265 million Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme in a draft decision that would open more of the Hawke’s Bay to irrigation. More>>

ALSO:

Fast Lanes, Campervans: Labour 'Making The Holidays Easier For Kiwi Drivers'

The next Labour Government will make the holidays easier and journeys quicker for Kiwi families driving on the roads, says Labour Leader David Cunliffe. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Royalty And Its Tourism Spin-Offs

Ultimately the Queen’s longevity has been one of her most significant accomplishments. A transition to Prince Charles while the monarchy was in the pits of public esteem in the mid to late 1990s would have been disastrous for the Royal Firm. Far more congenial representatives have now emerged... More>>

ALSO:

Privacy (Again): ACC Demands Excessive Privacy Waivers

Labour: “This is just another example of ACC under National deliberately acting to deny treatment and compensation... Those who did fill in the form have effectively been victims of yet another ACC privacy breach. This time Judith Collins knew it was happening..." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news