Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Police apologise for temporary ticketing error

"Police News Alert Issued *** 2.10 PM, February 18th (Tuesday) ***"

Police has apologised after a temporary computer problem resulted in thousands of people being accidentally ticketed for traffic offences they weren't liable for, including for vehicles they formerly owned.

The problem arose when an isolated fault in the Police ICT system resulted in vehicle transaction data from the NZ Transport Agency for the period between 22 October and 16 December last year not being automatically updated on Police systems as normal, affecting in excess of 20,000 traffic infringement notices.

National Road Policing Manager, Superintendent Carey Griffiths, said among those affected were people who had sold their vehicles during the two month period, who were then incorrectly ticketed for offences incurred by the new owners or others driving the vehicles. Also affected were those who had changed their address or their surname after getting married during the same period.

"Police sincerely apologise to all of those who have been affected by this one-off technical issue, which has now been resolved," Mr Griffiths said. "I can also reassure anyone who has been incorrectly ticketed as a result of our mistake that they won't need to pay the fine, and anyone who has paid in error will be completely refunded."

Mr Griffiths said Police became aware of the issue when a member of the public contacted the Police Infringement Bureau (PIB) about a notice received for a vehicle she no longer owned. However, the scale of the problem only became clear this week as a result of ongoing investigations.

"Once the problem was brought to our attention, Police took action to investigate and ensure it was fixed," Mr Griffiths said. "We have also put a number of steps in place to ensure it does not happen again."

The affected traffic notices included mainly speed camera infringements, and a smaller number of other camera-related notices, including red light camera offences, as well as Police-issued parking notices. Council-issued parking notices are not affected.

Police is now in the process of ensuring that the liability for these infringements is transferred away from those incorrectly ticketed across to those responsible. However, Mr Griffiths said any further action on these notices would be considered on a case by case basis, depending on the circumstances.

"In short, this means that any previous vehicle owner incorrectly ticketed won't need to pay the infringement, and anyone who has paid in error, will get their money back. Meanwhile, those owners who may now be receiving notices should contact the PIB if they have any issues or questions."

Higher demand during the busy holiday period also meant that people attempting to contact the PIB about the problem via phone had experienced delays, Mr Griffiths said.

"We apologise to those people who experienced delays in trying to get through to us to report the problem, which understandably caused additional frustration."

Mr Griffiths said while the total amount of any incorrectly issued notices was unknown, the individual amounts involved could potentially range from $30 to $630. However, based on previous infringement data for the same period, the largest proportion were likely to be in the $30 bracket.

"Police once again apologises to all those people affected by this problem, including previous vehicle owners, as well as motor traders and dealers, who have understandably been fielding calls and complaints from concerned customers.

"If anyone has questions or concerns over an infringement they believe may have been issued incorrectly, we ask them to make contact the PIB straight away with their notice details so we can put it right," Mr Griffiths said.

"To avoid any potential delays, we strongly recommend that people go onto the Police website and contact the PIB via the online form that's available. We will then work as quickly as we can to transfer liability for the incorrect infringements to the rightful person and refund any money that may have been paid in error to us."

To contact the PIB. [1]

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news