Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Ports of Auckland half-year profit up 70%

Ports of Auckland half-year profit up 70%

Record efficiency and volumes boost bottom line

HIGHLIGHTS

· Unaudited net profit after tax (NPAT) increased by 70% to $26.4m for the six months ended 31 December 2013, compared to $15.5m for the same period last year.

· An interim dividend of $20.94m will be paid to Auckland Council Investments Limited, for the benefit of ratepayers. This compares to a dividend of $11.56m for the same period last year.

· Port Operations EBIT was up 47.1% to $40.4m for the six months.

· Total container volumes for the six-month period were up 15.1% to 476,333 TEU, from 413,884 TEU in the same period last year.

· Full import containers were 19.9% higher and full exports 12.9% higher than the same period last year.

· Break-bulk (non-containerised, including vehicles) cargo volumes were up 41.9% to 2.87 million tonnes compared to 2.02 million tonnes in the same period last year.

· Car numbers were up 29.3% to 99,710 units, from 77,122 units in the same period last year.

· Port operating costs excluding depreciation were up 4.6% to $56.8m.

Ports of Auckland today announced a 70% increase in half-year profit, as rising productivity attracted more customers. Freight volumes lifted across the board, with a record number of containers handled in the six months to December 31.

Ports of Auckland CEO Tony Gibson said “Our productivity has gradually improved since we started restructuring in 2011. As we’ve delivered more of what our customers want, so they’ve rewarded us with more business. In effect the restructuring has enabled us to take advantage of an improving economy and Auckland’s continuing growth.”

Since 2011 Ports of Auckland has reorganised its management structure, improved container handling and its use of technology, and lifted labour utilisation, with 60 per cent of stevedores now working a flexible shift and roster system.

“Looking ahead, we are focussing on developing our leaders, increasing opportunities for women, particularly in operational and management roles, and investing in the training required to prepare our people for the future,” he added.

“2014 has started well, with volumes holding up across all areas, and as a result we recently announced new investment to support on-going growth: a larger new tug to handle bigger ships, and two new straddle carriers to cope with the rising container numbers.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news