Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Upgrade works to commence next week

February 21, 2014

Upgrade works to commence next week

Upgrade works on the Anzac Parade / Kowhai Park stopbanks in Wanganui are set to begin next week.

A contract has been awarded to New Plymouth based Whitaker Civil Engineering Ltd to undertake the larger part of the upgrade works, which will comprise raising earth stopbanks, constructing timber retaining walls and concrete floodwalls and modifying roadways within Kowhai Park.

Horizons councilors agreed to the works approximately 12 months ago after an investigation of the existing stopbanks found significant variation in the standard of protection they provided.

Horizons group manager operations Allan Cook says “the works will result in a consistent standard such that a flood that has a 2% probability of occurring in any year, commonly referred to as the 50-year flood, can be contained, without freeboard”.

The present low standard of protection was demonstrated in October last year when a 23-year return period flood was only just contained with hastily erected sandbag walls. Since then, temporary measures have been in place aiding prevention of a stopbank breach.

The works to start next week will generally raise existing stopbanks but also widen narrow sections, improving their ability to withstand high flood levels.

“For safety reasons it will be necessary to close off public access to sections of the park as works progress. Some disruption for the public is unavoidable however we will do our best to minimise that and wherever possible will provide alternative passageways around the works site,” Mr Cook says.

The works are expected to be substantially completed within 12 weeks. The estimated cost of the overall flood protection upgrade project, including works in the Matarawa Stream immediately above Anzac Parade, for which tenders are yet to be called, is $1,020,000.

“Completion of the project works will protect an estimated 57 houses from flooding in the 50-year flood and will result in significant savings in wider community disruption, emergency management and clean up costs presently incurred at progressively increasing levels in anything larger than a 20-year flood.”

The works will be undertaken within three separate zones, with works to be substantially completed in each before the next commences.

The first zone comprises the arboretum extending from Georgetti Road to the Matarawa Stream. Works activity will then shift to the area between Dublin Street and Helmore Street, while the final zone comprises the area adjoining the children’s playground.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Greens: Russel Norman To Stand Down As Co-Leader

Green Party Co-leader Dr Russel Norman has announced today that he will stand down as leader at the party’s Annual General Meeting in May. Dr Norman will remain as Co-leader and retain his finance and climate change portfolios until the AGM.

“After nearly a decade as Co-leader, now is a good time to find a new challenge for myself, and to spend more time with my family” said Dr Norman.

“This is my ninth year as Co-leader and I think it’s time for a change. Now is a good time for new leadership for the Party. My replacement will start from a strengthened base and will have a full parliamentary term to establish himself in the role and take the Greens into government in 2017." More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Eleanor Catton Rumpus

If anyone was in doubt about the accuracy of the comments made in India by Eleanor Catton, the reaction from some quarters here at home has gone a long way to proving her point… More>>

ALSO:

More Rent Assistance, Less State-Owned Housing: John Key Speech - Next Steps In Social Housing

"We are going to ensure that more people get into social housing over the next three years, whether that is run by Housing New Zealand or a community provider. The social housing budget provides for around 62,000 income-related rent subsidies a year. We are committed to increasing that to around 65,000 subsidies by 2017/18, which will cost an extra $40 million a year." More>>

ALSO:

The Future Of Work: Andrew Little - State Of The Nation 2015

In 2005 when I led the EPMU we worked together with Air New Zealand to find a way to keep engineering jobs that were heading overseas. A lot of these workers were people I’d known for years and they were facing not just losing their jobs but not being able to find the kind of work they do without going overseas. A lot of people were facing personal and financial upheaval.... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Sabin Case, The Pressures On Greece And (Songs About) Coyotes

Mike Sabin is a National MP, and the current chairman of Parliament’s law and order committee. Yet reportedly, he is being investigated by the Police over an assault complaint... However, the PM will not comment on any aspect of the story. More>>

ALSO:

Houses, ISIS, King (& Catton): PM Post-Cabinet Press Conference

The Prime Minister met with reporters to discuss: • Social housing, the Auckland housing market • The prospect of joining international forces to combat ISIS • David Bain’s compensation • The lowering of the flag for the King of Saudi Arabia's death ... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Tomorrow’s Speeches By John Key And Andrew Little

The Key government has already kicked off the political year on a stridently ideological note, with Environment Minister Nick Smith choosing to lay all manner of sins at the door of the RMA. Tomorrow, the government will wheeling out its best salesman – Prime Minister John Key – to sell its plans for state housing… . More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news