Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Tree Adventures fined over customer’s death

Media Release

21 February 2014

Tree Adventures fined over customer’s death

Auckland company Tree Adventures Limited was today fined $24,500 and ordered to pay reparations of $80,000 after a man fell 13.5 metres to his death while attempting one of its high-rope activity courses in March last year.

Tree Adventures pleaded guilty in the Waitakere District Court to one charge under the Health and Safety in Employment Act of failing to take all practicable steps to ensure the safety of Clifford Brabet.

Mr Brabet was pulled backwards and fell off a “surfboard” that he was using to travel between two platforms, after a pulley that he had incorrectly put in place detached from a wire.

A Tree Adventures staff member was stationed on the ground nearby. The staff member began to warn Mr Brabet but he stepped onto the “surfboard” before he could do so.

The manufacturer of the pulley system in its guidance material shows it being used with a carabiner and lanyard as a secondary attachment point. Two other operators who offer similar high-rope courses follow that approach.

WorkSafe’s chief investigator, Keith Stewart, said Tree Adventures was aware of the practice of using a second attachment point, and was planning to adopt it.

“The company did many things right. It gave its customers a 30-minute safety briefing; its staff radioed for help immediately following the accident and performed CPR while waiting for emergency services to arrive.

“But relying on a single point of attachment was foolhardy. It meant a simple mistake in putting the pulley in place could have fatal consequences. Tree Adventures had a duty to do more to protect its customers,” said Keith Stewart.

Summary_of_facts__Tree_Adventures_Ltd.pdf

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news