Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Police say man's death in crash a tragedy- not a statistic

In releasing the name of a man killed in a multiple vehicle collision near Cambridge over the weekend, the Waikato's top road policing officer asks people to reflect on the tragic nature of the loss rather than statistics.

Road Policing Manager, Inspector Freda Grace, said the crash in which 61-year-old Ngatea man, Robert Charles BARR, died in is still under investigation by the Waikato Serious Crash Unit.

"As part of this investigation, crash investigators will need to close SH1 at the intersection with Hautapu Rd as they return to the scene about 9.30am on Wednesday to conduct further analysis.

"It's too early to say what the cause of the crash was, at this point we know a line of three southbound vehicles have collided to varying degrees with Mr BARR'S 4x4 vehicle that was towing a trailer."

Mrs Grace said four occupants of the two southbound cars and a van suffered minor to serious injuries and were taken to Waikato Hospital by ambulance.

"It's now well known that Saturday's crash took the Waikato road toll to four deaths from four crashes, the same figures for the same period last year.

"What may not be reflected on with the releasing Mr BARR'S name is that there is a family stricken by loss and Police would like to extend our sympathies to his friends and family. At the same time there are four other people with various degrees of recovery and rehabilitation in front of them."

Mrs Grace said she hoped consideration could be given to the human cost of road crashes as this is probably the most effective way of preventing mistakes from happening.

"Every life lost, everybody broken is a loved one to someone out there. It could be your mum, dad, sister, brother or spouse.

"Road safety is no accident- only by driving socially can we ensure all our friends and family can be kept safe on the roads."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news