Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Police appeal for witnesses in Hamilton stabbing

Police appeal for witnesses following arrest in Hamilton stabbing

Monday, 24 February 2014 - 11:58am

National News

Waikato Police investigating a double stabbing in Hamilton over the weekend say just because an offender has been arrested doesn't mean investigators don't need to still speak to witnesses.

Acting Crime Manager, Detective Senior Sergeant Nigel Keall, said some very effective investigative work had led to the recovery of a knife and the arrest of an 18-year-old man.

"The arrest followed an incident on Marshall St in Fairfield early on Sunday morning when two males, aged 18 and 16-years-old, left a party and were walking were walking down an alleyway.

"They were confronted by an 18-year-old offender in the alleyway and the 18-year-old victim suffered defensive wounds to one of his hands while the 16-year-old suffered a serious stab wound to his chest."

Mr Keall said sporadic disorder had been reported in the area in the hours prior to the attack and a knife believed to have been used in the incident has been recovered however Police are not ruling out the possibility of other weapons being involved.

"The 18-year-old man arrested in relation to the attack will appear in the Hamilton District Court today on two charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

"As we work to establish exactly what has happened, Police need to speak to anyone who may have seen or heard what occurred who hasn't already spoken to our investigation team."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Detective Sergeant Simon Cherry of the Hamilton CIB on 07 858 6200.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news