Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Restricted fire season begins

25 February 2014

Restricted fire season begins

A restricted fire season will apply from midnight Wednesday 26 February within the Rural Fire Areas controlled by the Palmerston North City Council and all Department of Conservation land that borders this authority.

Deputy principal rural fire officer, Graeme McIntyre said that the fire risk is growing as the dry weather continues.

Permits will now be required for all fires in the open air except for:
•          barbecues in properly constructed containers and fuelled with gas or liquid fuel
•          cooking fires lit within approved concrete or stone surrounds and with not less than three meters of ground surrounding the container cleared of all combustible material.

No fires should be lit:
•          when high or gusty winds are prevailing
•          if the smoke is going to cause a nuisance to persons or surrounding property
•          if the person lighting the fire cannot remain in attendance until the fire is fully extinguished.

Graeme McIntyre says the restriction means permits are now required for the use of braziers and chimineas.

Residents should note that the restriction will remain in place until further notice.

All enquiries and permit requests should be made to Palmerston North City Council by calling 356 8199.

Permits will only be issued during normal office hours after allowing sufficient time for any investigation and/or inspection to be made by a Rural Fire Officer.

For all emergencies call 111 and give your name and address, telephone number and rural number if applicable.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On The Inquiry Into One Case Of Dirty Politics

Suddenly, we’re awash in inquiries and reviews. (It feels almost as if the Greens won the last election.) Caught out by the damning inquiry by SIS Inspector-General Cheryl Gwyn, the government’s response yesterday was utterly in character – it released two other major reports at the same time to try and distract public attention...

Inquiries are supposed to re-assure the public. What these inquiry outcomes share in common is a government culture of zero responsibility. More>>

IGIS ON SIS:

 
 

Parliament Today:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

White Ribbon Day: Govt Resumes Sexual Violence Trial Proceedings Work

Justice Minister Amy Adams has asked the Law Commission to resume work on proposals for better supporting victims of sexual violence through the criminal process. The Law Commission will revisit its previous work on alternative pre-trial and trial processes to identify options for improving complainants’ experience in court. More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news