Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Ngawha incident – UPDATE 2

Media Release

Kerikeri, Thursday 27 February 2014 – UPDATE #2 at 1145

Ngawha incident – UPDATE 2 (updates details about pentane release and causes)


Click for big version.

CAPTION: Top Energy CEO Russell Shaw with an activated burst disc, part of the pressure release safety system triggered at Ngawha this morning.

A pressure relief valve at Top Energy’s geothermal electricity generation plant at Ngawha was triggered at around 5.30am today. A pressure safety valve opened as designed, releasing pressure from the system resulting in a loud bang.

The single staff member on overnight duty activated the emergency procedure to automatically shut down the plant and summoned the Fire Service before vacating the site safely. The site contains a total of 30,000 litres of pentane gas.

The Fire Service entered the site and after extensive testing declared it safe at 7.17am.

The site continues to generate 15MW of power.

An investigation into the cause of the pressure build-up is underway. This is being conducted by Top Energy experts.

The pressure build-up occurred in a vaporiser unit which transfers heat from geothermal liquid into the pentane which, in turn, drives the turbines.

A first-stage pressure dump valve which is supposed to release pressure as it builds did not operate as it should have. A secondary safety release valve did operate as designed, creating several loud bangs.

The investigation has so far shown that a relatively small amount of pentane gas was released into the atmosphere.

Top Energy will post any updates on its website, as these become available.

“We are concerned that this incident occurred but delighted that our emergency procedures appear to have worked as they should have,” said chief executive Russell Shaw. “We’re particularly proud of our duty staff member and the local fire service who ensured that this was a textbook response to the incident.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news