Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Dwelling consents trend rising

Dwelling consents trend rising – Media release

28 February 2014

The trend for the number of new dwellings consented continues to rise, and is at its highest level since September 2007, Statistics New Zealand said today.

“The trend for new dwellings has doubled since the historic low point in March 2011, but is still 28 percent below the peak in January 2004,” industry and labour statistics manager Blair Cardno said.

In January 2014, the seasonally adjusted number of new dwellings consented, including apartments, fell 8.3 percent, although this wasn’t enough to reverse the rises of late last year.

“Apartment numbers returned to a lower level in January, after recording high numbers in November and December,” Mr Cardno said.

Excluding apartments, the seasonally adjusted number of new dwellings fell only 1.3 percent, following a rise of 11 percent in December.

In January, consents were issued for 1,640 new dwellings. This comprised:
• 154 apartments (including 88 retirement village units)
• 1,486 non-apartment dwellings.

Together, Auckland and Canterbury accounted for 58 percent of the new dwellings. In Auckland, 433 new dwellings were consented, while 520 new dwellings were consented in Canterbury.

A total of $930 million of building work was consented. This consisted of:
• $642 million of residential work
• $289 million of non-residential work.

Data for building consents is obtained from all territorial authorities in New Zealand.

 Building Consents Issued: January 2014

BuildingConsentsIssuedJan14HOTP.pdf

bcijan14tables.xls

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news