Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


DCC Assists Fisher & Paykel Expansion

DCC Assists Fisher & Paykel Expansion

Dunedin (Monday, 3 March 2014) – Dunedin’s Wall Street complex will be redeveloped to accommodate an expansion of the Fisher & Paykel design centre.

Mayor of Dunedin Dave Cull says, “This is a wonderful opportunity to partner with Fisher & Paykel as they consolidate their status as a world-leading appliance designer.”

Fisher & Paykel, a key employer and one of the largest tenants in the central business district, wants to extend its existing lease of office and laboratory space in the Dunedin City Council-owned Wall Street complex in George Street. This is to provide the Design and Call Centre with capacity for a total of 230 staff, enabling the continuation of a growth plan that will see a 40% increase in design staff numbers by 2018.

Mr Cull says, “This kind of development is exactly what the city needs and lines up with Dunedin’s Economic Development Strategy, which aims to support high-tech industries and create more knowledge economy jobs.

“It builds on the relationship that has been established with Qingdao and Haier as a result of recent visits to China and the subsequent signing of an economic partnership Memorandum of Understanding with the Qingdao Chamber of Commerce.”

The expansion means the DCC will invest up to $2.3 million to provide extra office space in the Wall Street complex (including a break through to the Penrose building), upgrade the Penrose building, make a contribution to tenant relocation costs. It will receive additional rental.

Fisher & Paykel Dunedin Site Manager Richard Butler says today’s announcement is a continuation of the research and development growth plans announced in February last year.

“As we expand our research and development facilities, it is vital that all our activities are able to be accommodated in a shared space. The current site is well-suited to meet our needs and we were keen to remain there rather than shift to another location in the city.

“The design and central location of the Wall Street building have enabled us to build a high quality, creative space that is close to our customers and very convenient for staff. Our expansion plans, in partnership with the Dunedin City Council, will mean that we can enhance the aspects of the facility that work so well for us currently, as well as growing those areas that need increased capacity.

“In the next few weeks we expect to be in a position to provide more detail on our expansion plans,” Mr Butler says.

DCC Acting Chief Executive Tony Avery says the growth of the design centre would bring more people into the central city and add to the vitality of the area. An economic impact report predicts wider economic benefits for Dunedin of up to $11 million.

A building consent application is expected shortly. Tenders for the work, which will close in late March, will also be advertised soon. Work is expected to be underway in April.

ENDS

Council__minutes_10_Feb_LGOIMA.pdf
Council_minutes_24_Feb_LGOIMA.pdf
Wall_St_10_Feb_LGOIMA_version.pdf
Wall_St_24_Feb_LGOIMA_version.pdf

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news