Storm impact on electricity supply 10.30am, 5 March 2014
Orion media update - for immediate release
10.30am, 5 March 2014
Storm impact on electricity supply
* 4,100 customers are without power.
* Customers without power are mostly around Banks Peninsula, although some pockets of Christchurch and surrounding areas are also experiencing outages.
* Winds are easing, however flooding, slips and water logged ground in the hills is preventing access to some parts of our network. This includes parts of Banks Peninsula. This means our crews are unable to access areas to undertake repairs.
* Rising flood waters in Christchurch may mean that later today we will need to turn off power to some substations and kiosks in Christchurch, particularly around the Avon and Heathcote rivers, for safety reasons and to limit damage to these assets. We will be switching load from others parts of our network to affected areas, in order to minimise outages. However, some outages may be possible.
* We are unable to give a timescale on when power will be restored to customers given this is an on-going storm event. It is quite likely that some customers will be without power overnight tonight given the access issues. All available crews are working to restore power as quickly and as safely as possible.
* We ask people to be aware that their power supply may be affected today and to prepare accordingly.
* Anyone who sees a fallen power line should stay well clear and call us on 0800 363 9898 immediately.