Business as Usual at Christchurch And Burwood Hospitals
Business as Usual at Christchurch And Burwood
Despite the ongoing rain and flooding, it’s business as usual at Christchurch and Burwood Hospitals today.
If you have an outpatient appointment, you’re advised to set off from home earlier than usual to allow plenty of time for parking. At Christchurch Hospital some parks at the rear of the hospital (near the Riverside entrance) have been cordoned off because of concerns about flooding.
All elective surgery and outpatient appointments are going ahead as planned.
People planning on visiting family or friends in hospital may want to delay their visit until later today when the weather is forecast to ease.
Due to weather and road conditions Canterbury District Health Board is unable to guarantee delivery of Meals on Wheels today. Staff are doing their best to get hot meals out for lunch, however we are aware that there are a significant number of roads we will be unable to access as a result of flooding.
For up to date road conditions check www.transportforchristchurch.govt.nz and plan your route before you leave home as many roads have been closed.
Public health advice
• People should avoid rivers and the beaches for at least two days as these may have been contaminated with sewage. This means it's not safe to drink water from rivers or use the rivers or estuary for recreational use.
• Always wash your hands or use hand sanitiser after being in contact with floodwaters as these may have been contaminated with sewage.
• Don’t be afraid to ask for help, especially from your family or neighbours.
• Keep an eye out for each other, especially if there are vulnerable people (e.g. the elderly or someone unwell) in your neighbourhood.
• Check on your neighbours and keep in touch with family and friends
At times like this it’s important to look out for elderly neighbours and others who live alone.
• If you have no power, use perishable food in your fridge first. Keep your freezer closed as long as possible to help keep food frozen for a while.