Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Inquiries continue into Christchurch assaults

Inquiries continue into Christchurch assaults



Christchurch Police are today continuing inquiries into separate assaults over the past few days.

Investigators have released security camera images of a man they are seeking in relation to assaults on central city sex workers early on Friday morning.
The images show a man walking on Manchester Street near the intersection with Bealey Avenue at around 3am on Friday, shortly before the first of the two attacks. The second occurred about two hours later.

Detective Sergeant Richard Quested says Police want to speak to the male in relation to at least one of the attacks.

"We can't say for sure that the two incidents are linked, but there are similarities about the descriptions, timing and locations so we are keeping an open mind on the possibility that the same offender was involved.

"We are appealing for this man to come forward and contact Police - and for any information from anyone who can help us identify and locate him."

The man Police are seeking is described as a Maori or Polynesian of solid build, with long, straggly hair, possibly tied in a ponytail. He was pictured wearing a white or light-coloured jacket.

Police want to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the incidents or seen any unusual activity in the Manchester Street-Bealey Avenue area around 3am and 5am on Friday.

Detective Sergeant Quested says it is likely a number of people will have been in the area, including sex workers, but also people travelling to and from workplaces.

Police will be stepping up patrols in the area this week to assist with enquiries and provide reassurance to street workers.

Inquiries are also continuing into the assault on a 34-year old man in Matipo Street, Riccarton, on Saturday night.

The victim, who was assaulted with a spade, is now in a stable condition in hospital.

Police say they have identified four young people who are believed to have been involved in the assault, and are following positive leads to locate them.
Detective Sergeant Valyn Barrett says Police are seeking a blue 1994 Subaru saloon, registration number ZH8066, which may have a 'spacesaver' tyre on one of the rear wheels.

Investigators are also asking for any witnesses to come forward in relation to an assault on a 53-year old man in Pateke Place, Bromley.

A 40-year old man was arrested and appeared in court on Saturday charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He was remanded in custody to reappear on 17 March.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Christchurch police on (03) 3637400. Information can also be provided anonymously to the organisation Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news