Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Stadium Gets Stamp of Approval From FIFA Inspection Team

Stadium Gets Stamp of Approval From FIFA Inspection Team

FIFA’s iconic U-20 World Cup Trophy will travel through the South in May


Dunedin (Monday, 10 March 2014) - Some of the most senior officials at football’s world governing body, FIFA, have been in Dunedin today to inspect venues for the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 tournament and give them the seal of approval.


To coincide with their visit, the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of FIFA’s second largest global tournament unveiled the venues for a nationwide trophy tour. The tour will begin in Northland on 5 May 2014 and conclude on 30 May 2014 - one year before the tournament kicks off and the world’s greatest young footballers descend on New Zealand.


The trophy will tour South Canterbury, Otago and Southland from 20 to 23 May and be showcased at a wide range of community, school and sporting events.


FIFA representatives arrived in Dunedin last night. While in the city they have had a tour of the Otago Stadium, which is where the Dunedin games will be played, and inspected training venues.

Football South Chairman Matthew Holdridge said, “We are thrilled to welcome the FIFA and LOC delegation to our city. This visit represents a real milestone in our preparation as we lead up to the 2015 U-20 World Cup.”

After completing a tour of the Stadium, FIFA’s Head of Olympics, FCWC and FIFA U-20 World Cup, Marion Mayer-Vorfelder said, “We have been hugely impressed with Otago Stadium and with the preparations which have been made already for the FIFA U-20 World Cup. We feel confident that this facility will be a fantastic arena to showcase the very best young talent that our sport has to offer.”


LOC Chief Executive Dave Beeche said, “We’re delighted to be working with Dunedin to bring the biggest game in the world to town in 2015. Given the level of enthusiasm for the tournament in Dunedin, we are urging fans to get in early to purchase tickets when they go on sale next month.”


Mayor of Dunedin Dave Cull said, “We are very much looking forward to the calibre of players who will be part of this tournament. As a city of students, we can create a very vibrant atmosphere and we are looking forward to having the teams here.


“Our previous experience putting on the Rugby World Cup means we know how to put on a great party!”

The FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 is the largest football tournament ever staged in this country. It will take place over three weeks from 30 May 2015 to 20 June 2015, with 24 countries participating. A total of 52 matches will be played in seven host cities – Whangarei, Auckland, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. An audience of more than 500,000 is expected to attend the event.


For further details about the World Cup www.dunedin.govt.nz/fifa.

.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news