Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Gifts and inducements kept secret by funding board

AUCKLAND RESCUE HELICOPTER TRUST

TUESDAY 11 MARCH 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Gifts and inducements kept secret by funding board

The secretive Auckland Regional Amenities Funding Board is refusing to release its confidential “gifts and inducements register” which details which of its members have received free tickets from the orchestra, theatre and opera businesses it funds ratepayers money.

The board has increased funding to the orchestra, theatre and opera businesses each year while slashing funding to the Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust which has a policy of not providing gifts to members of the Funding Board.

The trust runs the essential Westpac Rescue Helicopter which last year carried out 923 emergency rescue missions.

In 2008, parliament legislated that the rescue helicopter service would be part-funded by the amenities board to the tune of $1.5 million a year. The board has since slashed this funding by 70% to just $450,000 a year. with

Over the same period, the board has increased funding to the Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra over the level indicated by parliament by 96% to nearly $3 million, to the Auckland Theatre Company by 77% to nearly $1.5 million and to the New Zealand Opera by 60% to $800,000 (see table).

The chairman of the rescue helicopter service, Murray Bolton, said the constant funding cuts would not be tolerated any longer, especially as the helicopter service was the only one of ten amenities to have had its funding cut by the board.

“We are already suing this board for irrationality, illegality and unfairness with respect to their decisions for 2013/14 and we will sue them again every year until they restore our funding to something at least comparable with the amount indicated by parliament,” Mr Bolton said.

“We are an essential rescue service for the people of Auckland, with 86% public support.”

Mr Bolton said the rescue service wondered whether its mistake over the years had been not providing free joyrides to members of the board, most of whom have an arts background.

“We think the media and the people of Auckland should be able to see the board’s secret gifts and inducements register, so everyone can know which of them have accepted gifts and inducements from the orchestra, theatre, opera or any of the other amenities they fund.”

Mr Bolton said details of planned litigation relating to the 2014/15 year would be released before the end of April.

END

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On The Inquiry Into One Case Of Dirty Politics

Suddenly, we’re awash in inquiries and reviews. (It feels almost as if the Greens won the last election.) Caught out by the damning inquiry by SIS Inspector-General Cheryl Gwyn, the government’s response yesterday was utterly in character – it released two other major reports at the same time to try and distract public attention...

Inquiries are supposed to re-assure the public. What these inquiry outcomes share in common is a government culture of zero responsibility. More>>

IGIS: Statement On Early Report Release

As the Inspector-General stated at the release of the report yesterday morning, she is examining what steps to take over the early disclosure of information from the report... Ms Gwyn said that she was aware of Mr Goff's subsequent statements that he had disclosed some information concerning findings in the report. She will be seeking further information from Mr Goff and others. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS ON SIS:

 
 

Parliament Today:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

White Ribbon Day: Govt Resumes Sexual Violence Trial Proceedings Work

Justice Minister Amy Adams has asked the Law Commission to resume work on proposals for better supporting victims of sexual violence through the criminal process. The Law Commission will revisit its previous work on alternative pre-trial and trial processes to identify options for improving complainants’ experience in court. More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news