Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Jet fuel at Lyttelton Terminal recovered

Jet fuel at Lyttelton Terminal recovered

A site response team continues to work at Mobil Lyttelton Terminal following damage caused by a landslide during a severe storm last week. The jet fuel that leaked from a damaged tank into the containment area has now been recovered.

The landslide caused severe damage to a tank containing approximately 1.2 million litres of jet fuel. This caused the fuel to flow into the concrete walled containment area around the tank. Some jet fuel also made its way into Lyttelton harbour.

There are ongoing clean-up works to remove any residual impacts, and environmental advisors are on site conducting environmental impact assessments.

With fuel now safely contained in storage tanks, the Fire Service have assessed that they are no longer required to lead the response efforts.

Fuel supply operations have been disrupted at the terminal. We have completed an inspection of the Lyttelton to Woolston pipeline to ensure it did not suffer any damage in the storm and the pipeline was returned to normal operation last week.

Mobil’s supply organisation is working closely with the broader industry and our customers in relation to ongoing supply arrangements. There are currently no shortages of jet fuel, diesel or gasoline, however supply remains tight.

Mobil will conduct a full investigation into this incident when it is safe to do so.

Mobil Oil New Zealand Lead Country Manager Andrew McNaught said he was very pleased that work has been completed safely and without further incident, despite the challenging conditions.

“Our clean-up operations have caused some unavoidable disruption and Mobil apologises to local residents. Jet fuel odours should diminish now that Mobil has recovered the jet fuel, however odour could occur intermittently as we clean up impacted areas. At no time has there been any risk to human health as a result of jet fuel odour.

“There may be some remaining traces of jet fuel in water in the drains which will largely be captured by absorbent booms, and as an additional precaution a boom remains in place across the drain entry point into the harbour. We continue to liaise with Environment Canterbury which has the lead on the marine response,” he said.

Mr. McNaught said Mobil would like to thank the NZ Fire Service, the Police, Environment Canterbury, the Lyttelton Port Corporation and the Christchurch City Council for their assistance.

“We are grateful for the patience and understanding that we have received from the community as we all recover from the impacts of last week’s storm,” he said.


Mobil will continue to provide further information on Mobil’s community hotline during business hours (including over the weekend) on 0800 777 979.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news