Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Cobbles reign in 'Eat Streat'

Cobbles reign in 'Eat Streat' - news from The Mud

12 March 2014

Rotorua-based Cobblestone Charm Ltd has been awarded the contract in a $30,000 fix to the damaged wooden walkway in the city's 'Eat Streat' precinct.

Rotorua District Councillor Karen Hunt, who is charged with liaising with businesses in the inner city, says Cobblestone Charm has been awarded the contract and the cobblestones will be sourced locally. Cobblestone Charm operates in Rotorua and is owned by Jeremy and Catriona Barrett, listed as living in Te Puke.

The decision draws a line under a very important aspect to the delays around full completion of the development, which has been at the centre of discontent among businesses outside the Eat Streat precinct.

The announcement on the change from wood to cobblestones was made in a council statement yesterday (Tuesday 11 March).

Interviewed by The Mud, Karen Hunt said the work on replacing the wooden flooring with cobblestones was due to start on Thursday (13 March) and was expected to take 10 or 11 days to complete.

“It wasn’t what we hoped but it is very much a good solution to a difficult problem."

Issues always came out of left field in a large project. It was originally hoped to have a surface on which road bikes could run but now it would be one which would be suitable for mountain bikes.

The cobbles will not be of the terracotta colour of other cobbles throughout Rotorua, but will fit with the surrounding structure.

“I think once it’s in, people will actually forget that there were any problems with the wooden floor.”

Karen Hunt said the council now has a list of when all the remaining work will be finished on the project, with roofing and glazing being completed, walls going up at each end and in some of the internal spaces, and then canopies fitted.

The council statement quoted economic and regulatory services group manager Mark Rawson as saying the finished walkway surface would be attractive, safe, and able to bear the weight of a fully loaded fire tender or ambulance if needed in an emergency.

The finished walkway would be attractive, safe and able to bear the weight of a fully loaded fire tender or ambulance if needed in an emergency.

This item first appeared in The Mud at

http://www.themud.co.nz/#!cobbles-in-eat-streat/co0z

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news