Waikato Emergency Management preparing for Cyclone Lusi
13 March 2014
Media advisory: Waikato District Council Emergency Management preparing for Cyclone Lusi
The Waikato District Council Emergency Management team is monitoring the Cyclone Lusi situation closely and
preparing to respond to this weekend’s forecasted weather event.
Tropical Cyclone Lusi is approaching New Zealand from the north and is expected to bring strong wind, heavy rain and rough
seas to the North Island - including the Waikato over the coming weekend.
Met Service has issued a severe weather watch, indicating that heavy rain and easterly gales are expected to spread onto
northern New Zealand from later on Friday, head southwards across the remainder of the North Island on Saturday, then to the
upper and eastern South Island later on Saturday and Sunday.
The Council’s Emergency Management team is urging Waikato district residents to be prepared and recommends
the following actions:
• Keep up-to-date with the weather reports (Met Service, television, radio, online updates, etc)
• Secure large heavy objects and outdoor furniture that may cause damage in high winds
• Ensure that gutters and stormwater drains are kept free from debris/leaves to reduce the risk of surface flooding
• Prepare for power cuts; unplug small appliances which may be affected by electrical power surges and if power is lost,
unplug major appliances to reduce the power surge and possible damage when power is restored
• Have enough supplies to last the weekend.
Residents are also urged to stay indoors and refrain from walking around outside during the storm and avoid driving
unless absolutely necessary.
More detailed advice about what to do before, during and after storms is available at www.getthru.govt.nz