Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Update on stolen property and drugs seized in Whangarei last

Northland District Headquarters
88 Cameron Street, Whangärei
Thursday March 13, 2014

Several people have come forward to claim property that was stolen by a syndicate of offenders involved in burglaries, stealing vehicles, and drugs.

Last week police located a large amount of stolen property and more than 300 cannabis plants when they searched five addresses around the Whangärei area.

The searches were part of an operation targeting a group believed to be involved in an organised burglary ring involving residential properties and vehicles.

Following the recovery of the stolen property Police called for the victims of recent burglaries to come forward and help identify the property.
Since then Police have managed to locate six burglary victims who have been able to identify their property.

Detective Senior Sergeant Dene Begbie says it's been pleasing for Police to be able to help these people get their items back.
Police are looking at the burglaries linked to this crime ring and will be contacting the victims of these burglaries.

There is still a large amount of property that has not been identified, including lifejackets, fishing rods, foreign currency, old New Zealand currency notes, distinctive coins, memory cards containing photos, and Asian Winter Games gold medals.

Mr Begbie says there has been a noticeable decrease in the number of burglaries around Whangärei since police carried out the operation targeting the dishonesty offending.

However, Mr Begbie says Police will not rest on their laurels and will continue to target people who choose to steal from others.

Last night two men, aged 24 and 26, were arrested in relation to a burglary and five theft ex-car offences. These arrests followed on from an investigation into one of the theft ex-car offences.

Mr Begbie says the public can also help by reporting any suspicious activity, being part of a Neighbourhood Support Group and taking precautions to prevent burglary in the first place.

Here is some information to help reduce the risk of burglaries:

* Lock your doors, windows, sheds, garages, if necessary padlock farm sheds.
* Communicate with your neighbours: they can keep an eye on your address.
* If you're on holiday, arrange for someone to collect your mail and to mow lawns.
* Install sensor lights/alarms
* Remove keys from vehicles. Close access gates
* Note down suspicious registrations - often burglars will scope out an address first.
* Keep valuables out of sight.
* Record all serial numbers and photograph expensive or significant items.
The SNAP website (www.snap.org.nz) is a good way to record all your possessions.


Operation SNAP (Serial Number Action Partnership) is an initiative of the New Zealand Police, aiming to prevent New Zealand burglary and property offending, and make it harder for criminals to sell stolen goods in New Zealand. The initiative helps to protect property in a number of ways.

The SNAP website (http://www.snap.org.nz) allows you to enter and maintain details of all of your important possessions or assets. You can then access this asset list from anywhere, anytime. If your items are stolen, you can instantly retrieve your asset list details, and forward these on to the Police and your insurance company.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news