Cyclone Lusi may bring severe weather to coastal Canterbury
Cyclone Lusi may bring severe weather to coastal
Canterbury Civil Defence Emergency Management Group is advising people to prepare for possible severe weather this weekend.
Group Controller Neville Reilly says that, based on current information from the MetService, Canterbury may experience heavy rain and strong winds.
“The storm is due to hit Canterbury on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, and we should be prepared for heavy rain. There is a heavy rain warning out for the Kaikoura ranges, but at this time there are no warnings for the rest of Canterbury,” Mr Reilly says.
“People need to take precautions and be prepared. Make sure your emergency kit is up to date, and check your drains and gutters to ensure water will run freely.”
Residents are advised to continue to listen to local radio stations for local weather forecasts and updates and to also take not of any warnings that are issued. Information is also available on the MetService website www.metservice.com
Before a storm
• Develop a Household Emergency Plan. Assemble and maintain your Emergency Survival Items for your home as well as a portable getaway kit.
• Prepare your property for high winds. Secure large heavy objects or remove any item which can become a deadly or damaging missile. Get your roof checked regularly to make sure it is secure. List items that may need to be secured or moved indoors when strong winds are forecast.
• Keep materials at hand for repairing windows, such as tarpaulins, boards and duct tape.
• If you are renovating or building, make sure all work complies with the New Zealand building code which has specific standards to minimize storm damage.
• If farming, know which paddocks are safe to move livestock away from floodwaters, landslides and power lines.
• For further information go to www.getreadygetthru.govt.nz
River Level and rainfall information can be checked on the Environment Canterbury website www.ecan.govt.nz.
Canterbury Civil Defence Emergency Management Group number over the weekend is: 03 366 2359.