Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Costly fireplace ban back on the table

Costly fireplace ban back on the table

Auckland Councillor Cameron Brewer says panicked council staff are determined to quickly push through costly measures to ban domestic open fireplaces as well as phase out pre-2005 wood burners, affecting nearly 90,000 Auckland homes.

“There’s a renewed panic around the place that if drastic measures are not taken Auckland will not meet National Environmental Standards for Air Quality - standards it is supposedly required to meet by 2016. Subsequently, it’s now the more costly and extreme measures for Auckland homeowners that are now being pushed for rapid implementation.”

Mr Brewer says the latest council figures show that a prohibition of domestic open fireplaces will affect 21,000 households, while there are 67,000 pre-2005 wood burners. The idea is to ban open fireplaces sooner rather than later and force old wood burners to be removed when houses are sold which is known as the point of sale rule.

“The reported numbers of those who die prematurely from air pollution caused by home heating fires seems to be bouncing all around the place, as are the claimed costs to our health sector, not to mention the numbers of Auckland households affected. However one thing constant is the council’s resolve to implement the new costly rules.

“Sadly this is going to hit low-income families and the elderly particularly hard. Many Aucklanders love their open fire or old wood burner and rely on these trusty and traditional forms of heating. Having to buy the likes of a heat pump and pay more for electricity will literally leave many in the cold.

“This is set to be just another extra council cost for Aucklanders to add to their growing rates bills, regulatory fee hikes, user-pays rubbish next year, and the Mayor’s on-going push for tolls and or a regional fuel tax.”

Mr Brewer says instead of just focusing on hitting the little suburban homeowner, the council needs to look harder at the likes of its dirty diesel buses that choke our streets.

“Councillors kicked this for touch in 2012. Nonetheless as of last year council had already spent at least $360,000 on reports and staff time to keep pushing this change through. With the 2016 target quickly looming, unfortunately it now seems a case of when not if,” says Cameron Brewer.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news