Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Christchurch City Council Draft Annual Plan: Community input

17 March 2014

Community input into Christchurch City Council Draft Annual Plan

Christchurch residents can have a say on the Council’s proposed spending with public consultation opening today on the 2014/15 Draft Annual Plan.

Interested individuals and community groups have until Tuesday 22 April to lodge a submission on the draft plan.

The draft plan outlines everything the Council will do over the next year, how much it costs and where the money will come from.

Nine public drop-in sessions will be held across the city during the submission period, giving residents a chance to get further information on budgeting proposals.

A summary document highlighting key features of the plan has been distributed to all homes throughout Christchurch and Banks Peninsula.

The 2014/15 Draft Annual Plan is largely based on Year 2 of the Council’s 2013-16 Three Year Plan, and proposes an average rates increase of 6.5 per cent.

Council Finance Committee chairman Raf Manji says careful budgeting will help the Council to reach its rates target.

“It’s important we live within our means, but at the same time ensure there is no impact on core community services such as water supplies and waste disposal. Our preferred option is to make small reductions across a range of non-essential services, rather than heavy cuts to a few.

“The loss of so many properties through the Red Zone and demolitions in the Central City has decreased our rating revenue by $10 million, and with less than expected growth and the added cost of the rebuild, we must budget accordingly.”

“We want to get feedback on the draft plan proposals and encourage residents and business groups to have their say by completing a submission,” Councillor Manji says.

Following the consultation period, public hearings will be held before the Council adopts the final plan in late June.

The 2014/15 Draft Annual Plan and summary document can be viewed at www.ccc.govt.nz/annualplan or at Council service centres or libraries.

A timetable of the public drop-in sessions is outlined below.

DateVenue
Tuesday 25 MarchLyttelton Club, 23 Dublin Street, Lyttelton
Wednesday 26 MarchAkaroa Sports Complex, 28 Rue Jolie
Thursday 27 MarchShirley Freemasons Centre, 9 Shirley Road
Saturday 29 MarchUpper Riccarton Library, 71 Main South Road
Monday 31 MarchSouth New Brighton Hall, 74 Beatty Street
Tuesday 1 AprilSt Mark’s Church, 150 Withells Road
Wednesday 2 AprilLandsdowne Community Centre, 8 Landsdowne Terrace
Thursday 3 AprilSumner Community Centre, 20 Wiggins Street, Sumner
Monday 7 AprilChristchurch Netball Centre, Hagley Park

All sessions run from 3.30pm-7pm.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news