Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Carnage on Waikato roads - Police call for culture change

Second weekend of carnage on Waikato roads leads Police to call for culture change

17 March 2014 - After a traumatic weekend on the region's roads that claimed the lives of two people and left a number of others with life threatening injuries, the Waikato's top road policing officer says attitudes need to change.

District Road Policing Manager, Inspector Freda Grace, said the most disappointing thing about the latest tragedies is that once again, each incident contained a large degree of avoid-ability.

"In the first incident the Waikato Serious Crash Unit is working to establish what, if any part, speed and alcohol played in a collision between a utility and a truck on SH24 shortly before 1am on Saturday.

"It is too early to determine what caused the crash which claimed the life of 23-year-old Matamata man, Jeremy Mark KINDER, but initial indications are his Toyota Hilux utility failed to negotiate a corner and crossed the centreline into the path of an eastbound Kenworth truck and trailer unit."

Mrs Grace said the second person to lose their life as a result of road trauma was an elderly pedestrian struck by a vehicle as he crossed SH1 at Karapiro ten days ago.

"Auckland man, 88-year-old Roy James GRANT had been under treatment at Waikato Hospital since the incident but died early this morning. The Serious Crash Unit investigation into what, if any, charges may be laid is still continuing.

"In expressing the sympathies of New Zealand Police to the friends and family of the two men for their loss we are also sparing a thought for a number of other people who are fighting for their lives following 36 crashes in the Waikato since Friday."

Mrs Grace said this included a 79-year-old man who suffered critical injuries when struck by a reversing car on Shakespeare St in Leamington early on Friday evening and a crash between a car and a motor-cycle on Hoeka Rd in Newstead that saw two people on the motor-cycle taken to hospital.

"Then shortly after 9am on Sunday emergency services were called to the scene of a crash on SH1 north of Huntly where a motor-cycle carrying two people crashed into a roadside barrier near the Rangiriri tavern.

"A 52-year-old Huntly man and his female pillion passenger were flown by air ambulance helicopter in a serious condition to Waikato Hospital where their condition is described as stable. At this point Police are working to establish what part a item of material found wrapped around the motor-cycle's rear wheel may have played in the crash."

Mrs Grace said there were no witnesses to the crash at the scene and Police are appealing for anyone who saw what happened to contact the Huntly Police on 07 858 6200.

"While the investigations into what happened in each of the crashes continue, we as a community need to focus on preventing more trauma happening on our roads.
"Late February through to early April are traditionally busy periods for emergency services dealing with motor-cycle and commercial vehicle crashes and it appears this year is no different. And now we have had our second pedestrian fatality and have another person seriously injured."

Mrs Grace said the only way to turn the tide on the spate of road crashes on Waikato roads was to introduce a change in culture.

"We need to drive socially, give each other plenty of room on the road and ensure other road users are able to see you regardless of if you are a pedestrian, cyclist, motor-cycle rider or driver, the stakes for those left behind are just too great if you don't."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Open Source // Open Society - Full Coverage

GCSB's China Shopping: Key Damages China Relationship

Evidence that the Key Government recklessly approved a GCSB spying operation to intercept Chinese diplomatic communications between offices in Auckland will pointlessly damage our relationship with China, the Green Party said today.

The latest Snowden documents detail plans by the New Zealand spy agency, the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB), to tap Chinese diplomatic communications between their two consular offices in Auckland. The papers don’t reveal if the operation, a joint project with the US National Security Agency (NSA), went ahead but we have no reason to think it did not. More>>

 
 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Press Conference: ANZAC PMs Concerned About ISIL Bringing The War Home

Prime Minister Key and Prime Minister Abbott spoke of the bond formed between Australia and New Zealand in the “baptism of fire” of Gallipoli. Abbott stated that New Zealand and Australia’s values and interests are linked, and this is reflected in the joint operation in Iraq which will begin shortly. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Reserve Bank And Auckland Housing>

The ‘crisis – what crisis?’ response by the government to the Auckland housing price bubble is no longer acceptable. So says Reserve Bank governor Grant Spencer... More>>

ALSO:

Bangladesh: GCSB Dragging NZ Into Human Rights Abuses

The New Zealand government should stop providing intelligence assistance to Bangladeshi security agencies that are known to systematically engage in human rights abuses, said the Green Party today. More>>

ALSO:

Troops Heading To Iraq: Government Must Come Clean On Deployment

New Zealanders deserve more than to hear about their troops’ deployment overseas from Australian media, Opposition Leader Andrew Little says. “News from Australia that Kiwi troops are on their way to Iraq this week is another example of the culture of secrecy and unknown protections around the deployment.” More>>

ALSO:

Image: Strikers And Protestors Join Outside McDonald's

A group of protestors took to McDonald’s Manners St today as a part of the international fast food workers day of action to end zero hour contracts. More>>

ALSO:

Greens: Special Education Funds Not Spent

More than $32 million of funding for children with special needs has not been spent by the Government, despite families of children with special needs complaining for years that they’ve been denied the support they deserve. More>>

ALSO:

John Key: Pre-Budget Speech To Business NZ

So this Government will remain relentlessly focused on improving the competitiveness of our economy... We will continue to give businesses a platform to invest, grow and create jobs in the knowledge they will be backed by a clear and consistent government policy programme. More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: Andrew Little’s Response To John Key’s Pre-Budget Address

Labour Party leader Andrew Little spoke today on John Key’s pre-budget address this afternoon in Wellington. Little said National has had seven years to achieve a surplus and Kiwis have “fufilled their end of the bargain.” More>>

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news