Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Murder investigation still active one year on

Murder investigation still active one year on

Monday, 17 March 2014 - 3:42pm

Bay of Plenty

It will be exactly one year on Wednesday (19 March) since grandfather George Taiaroa was the innocent victim of a cold-blooded murder; fatally shot as he operated a Stop-Go sign at roadworks in Atiamuri.

Although no arrest has yet been made, the Police investigation has made positive steps in the last 12 months and its belief in the theory behind the murder has not wavered.

Detective Inspector Tim Anderson said: “It has been important for the integrity of the investigation from the outset to be patient, thorough, and methodical, and to explore every possible avenue. We continue to do that and every avenue we have taken during the last year has simply reinforced our belief about what happened that day and why George was murdered.

“We still believe that the blue Jeep Cherokee vehicle we seized in the weeks following the murder was involved. We still have that vehicle and we are continuing to carry out work with that vehicle as part of the investigation. Although I am still not prepared to discuss the motive for the murder; our position on that, and the fact that it would appal any reasonable person, has not changed.

“My position also remains the same when it comes to not making comment on individuals; but we still have one prime suspect.”

Police want to make clear to the public, the person responsible and anyone else who knows or suspects who was involved, that the investigation is still very much active.

“The last year has not been easy for George’s family and this week will no doubt be particularly difficult. He was a doting family man and the impact of his loss is never far from our minds; it drives us forward and makes us all the more determined.

“As the Taiaroa family has its own private reflection, we ask that the public also reflect on this case and contact us with any information they might have. It doesn’t matter how much time has passed or how irrelevant it may seem, it may be important.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the investigation team on 0800 Kingswood (0800 546 479). Information can be also provided to the organisation Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience.

“Labour has many new and highly capable MPs who will have the opportunity to prove their ability. At the same time our senior hands will be on deck to take the fight to the National-led Government and support our upcoming stars,” Andrew Little says.

“I am pleased to announce Annette King will be my deputy for the coming year. In recent weeks she has shown how crucial her wisdom and strength is to Labour. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:


Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Auckland Unification: 'No IT Cost Blowout' (Just More Expensive)

Following discussion of an update on Auckland Council’s Information Services Transformational Programme at today’s Finance and Performance Committee, council has released the report publicly. More>>

ALSO:

Other Expensive Things:

Gordon Campbell: On The SAS Role Against Islamic State, And Podemos

Only 25% of the US bombing runs are even managing to locate IS targets worth bombing. As the NYT explains at length, this underlines the need for better on-the-ground intelligence to direct the air campaign to where the bad guys have holed up... More>>

ALSO:

Public Service: Commission Calls For Answers On Handling Of CERA Harassment

EEO Commissioner Dr Jackie Blue is deeply concerned about the way in which the State Services Commission has handled sexual allegations made against CERA chief executive Roger Sutton this week and is calling for answers. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Andrew Little’s Victory

So Andrew Little has won the leadership – by the narrowest possible margin – from Grant Robertson, and has already been depicted by commentators as being simultaneously (a) the creature of the trade unions and (b) the most centrist of the four candidates, which would be an interesting trick to see someone try in a game of Twister. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news