Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Hunters given assurances on coming game bird season

Hunters given assurances on coming game bird season


Keen game bird hunters in Northland have been assured that there’s been no cut back to the length of the game bird season for mallard ducks which opens on Saturday May 3, 2014.

Northland Fish & Game manager Rudi Hoetjes says a media report has unfortunately created some confusion for a number of hunters in the Far North.

The report run by local media in fact referred to the Eastern Fish & Game region where there’s to be a very short season – not Northland – which wasn’t clear enough to readers, he says.

“Our mallard and grey season is exactly the same as last year, running for eight weeks from May 3 to June 29.

“We can put hunters minds at rest – they’re getting the same opportunities to hunt over this period, with the same bag limits in place of 15 mallards or greys, and three shoveler duck.”

Mr Hoetjes urges hunters as always to buy their game bird licence and make themselves familiar with the regulations in the game bird hunting booklet.

He says there has been one minor change to season length for one upland game bird species – the quail. The season will close earlier in area A, to align with the cut- off date for pheasants.

The Northland Fish & Game Council has not changed any of the other season lengths or daily game bags for waterfowl or other upland game birds, he adds.

“We welcome calls to our office from anyone who still has any concerns about season lengths or any other regulations. Fish & Game officers are happy to advise hunters on where they can shoot, how to apply for any permits, and put them straight on any other issues they might have.”

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, am responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

Update: After a seven hour caucus meeting David Cunliffe has announced Chris Hipkins and Carmel Sepuloni as new party whips and said the Labour council will hold an independent review into the election result. He did not comment on any leadership vote.

 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news