Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Creswick Valley Residents Demand Wgtn City Council Listen

Ground Hog Day as Creswick Valley Residents Demand Council Listen

Creswick Valley Residents are demanding Wellington City Council listen to their views on a contentious land development proposal on Curtis St.

Creswick Valley is recognised as regionally significant for ecological purposes. Situated between Zealandia and Otari-Wilton’s bush, it is a well-known kaka flight path. The valley is also home to the upper Kaiwharawhara stream and Wellington’s most accessible large glow-worm dell. The proposal by Prime Property Group could see a large-scale big box development.

Creswick Valley Residents’ Association Chairperson Sarah Holden outlined to a packed public meeting on Tuesday night what the community is now facing, which includes 4 500 truck-loads of fill and clearing more than 2000m2 of vegetation to develop the site.

"This feels like Ground Hog Day, we are dumbfounded. We spent nearly a year in discussion with the Council and developer on an appropriate scale of development for the site. At the same time the Council was sitting on an application from the developer to obliterate the site.”, said Ms Holden.

"This proposal highlights why we need stronger safeguards to prevent developers from exceeding agreed standards for development".

The Council has publically notified the earthworks consent application, and has deemed the impact of these earthworks as ‘less than minor’.

“It’s outrageous the Council thinks filling the valley where my home is ‘is less than minor”, said Northland resident Peter Thompson.

“The idea of filling up our valley and totally changing an ecologically important piece of land for no reason at all is absolutely farcical”, said Ken Cuttle, a Wilton resident.

Creswick Valley Residents’ Association Chairperson Sarah Holden is urging residents to make a submission on the earthworks application before the 1 April deadline.

“We took them to court and won but now unfortunately we have to fight again to save our valley, but we won’t give up and the Council can expect a flood of submissions”, said Ms Holden.

Background information
The proposed development follows the Association successfully taking the Council to the High Court in 2012, where it was found that rezoning the site at 55-85 Curtis Street from Open Space/Residential to Business 2 was not publically notified and was illegal.

Following their High Court loss, last year the Council publically notified a District Plan Change to create a Curtis Street Business Area. 65 concerned residents and organisations made submissions with only 5 in favour of the new zone. The outcome was a site specific Business Area with minor provisions to protect the glow-worm dell on Old Karori Road. The Association and the Developer Prime Property Group, are now appealing this zoning in the Environment Court.

Click here for a full timeline of events.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

17 Year Sentences In Baby Moko Case: Attorney General On Plea Bargain

“The Crown’s decisions in this case, including the decision to accept the manslaughter pleas, were motivated by the need to secure convictions for this horrendous killing and to avoid the significant risk that either of the defendants could escape such a conviction because of evidential issues.” More>>

ALSO:

No Rail For New Harbour Crossing: National Giving Up On Rail In Auckland

The National Government’s decision to scrap two planned rail lines in Auckland shows it is giving up on a city-wide rail network in Auckland, and on thousands of commuters who sit in traffic jams every single day, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news