Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


NZTA, DCC: Next Step in SH1 Cycleway Proposal


Next Step in SH1 Cycleway Proposal

Dunedin (Wednesday, 26 March 2014) – The next step in a proposal to improve both cyclist and driver safety by introducing separated cycle lanes in the central city will be discussed by a Dunedin City Council committee next week.

Late last year, the public was consulted on two separated cycle lane proposals:
• Option 1 - a separated cycle lane along each of the one-way streets between the Dunedin Botanic Garden and Rattray Street.
• Option 2 - a separated cycle lane on Cumberland Street which would be used by cyclists travelling in both directions.

Overall, there was support for a separated cycle lane option to improve the safety of the one-way system.

DCC Transportation Planning Manager Sarah Connolly says following public feedback, the NZ Transport Agency/DCC Working Group developed another option, known as Option 1A. Under this option, there would be a separated lane along each of the one-way streets, but on some blocks the footpath and the cycle lane could be narrowed to enable car parking to remain on the right-hand side. The cycle lane would then be between the footpath and the car parks. Loss of car parking was a key issue raised through the consultation process and this layout provided a further option for consideration.

Options 1 and 1A are the Working Group’s preferred options, but it is recommended that all three concepts proceed to the next stage, where a business case would be developed. Option 1 is the option preferred by cyclists.

The DCC’s Infrastructure Services Committee, which meets on Tuesday, is being asked to support the Transport Agency as it seeks to include the further development of this project in the current Regional Land Transport Programme.

If successful, this would mean funding would be granted to do more work on the cycleway proposal. That work would look at the three options – 1, 1A and 2, and provide detailed drawings and costs. That would lead to a preferred option being identified, with related costs and benefits detailed.

Transport Agency Projects Team Manager Simon Underwood says, “The next stage would be to further investigate and undertake preliminary design and detailed cost estimation of the options. There would also be further consultation – particularly with directly affected property owners and tenants.

“At the end of that process, a recommended option would be identified which, if supported, should then be progressed to construction.”

If funding for the business case is granted, that work would be complete by early next year. If an option is supported by both organisations, and funding obtained, it is possible construction could start in mid-late 2015.

Infrastructure Services Committee Chair Cr Kate Wilson says, “This is a case of looking for the best available option for all road users, including pedestrians and cyclists, ensuring safety for all.

“It is clear cyclists are not well provided for, which means other users are also less safe, including truck and car drivers.”

Ms Connolly says in terms of parking, if the project proceeds to the business case stage, a draft Parking Plan will be developed and there will be further discussions with affected parties.
Early indications are it may cost the DCC between $270,000 and $350,000 to provide alternative car parks for those removed so cycleways could be installed. There could be extra costs if Option 1A is selected as footpath changes would be required.

In November 2012, the Council asked the Transport Agency to identify short-term measures to improve cycle safety on the one-way sections of State Highway 1 and develop a long-term plan to improve pedestrian and cycle safety.

Ms Connolly says the short-term changes to improve cycle safety, which include changes to parking and minor physical works, are largely complete.

A draft Central City Cycle Network, of which the State Highway 1 routes are a key part, was developed early last year. This will be presented to the Committee later this year, for consideration for public consultation.

For details on the latest separated cycle lane options go to www.nzta.govt.nz/dunedincyclesafe.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Tokenism Of New Zealand's Role Against Islamic State

To date, the Opposition has continued to occupy itself with the marginalia of the issue. E.g. whether Key did or didn’t know whether Barack Obama would be present at the US briefing last week on IS, or whether New Zealand’s military involvement is or isn’t already a fait accompli.

It might be better to tackle the issue, head on. Our contribution against IS will be to send SAS forces to train the Iraqis? That’s like offering trainers to General Custer just as the 7th cavalry reached the Little Big Horn.
More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Scoop Business: Shell And Todd Caught Drilling Without Approval

Multi-national oil company Shell’s New Zealand arm and local energy giant Todd Energy have breached the new law governing New Zealand’s Exclusive Economic Zone, the Environmental Protection Authority says in an Oct. 10 document released by the Green Party. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Tea Breaks 'Gone By Lunch Time'

“How cynical that on the eve of Labour weekend, the National government is pushing through legislation that takes away the statutory right to tea and meal breaks along with collective bargaining protections, and makes vulnerable workers jobs even less secure." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Pharmac, Gough Whitlam And Sleater-Kinney

We’re not at the outset of these negotiations. The outset was six years ago, and negotiators were hoping to have some sort of ‘framework’ deal finished in time for the APEC meeting in a few weeks’ time. These ‘extreme’ positions are what we’ve reached near the intended end of the negotiations… More>>

ALSO:

PM Of Many Hats: Questions, No Answers On Whale Oil

Dr RUSSEL NORMAN (Co-Leader – Green) to the Prime Minister: How many times since November 2008 has he spoken with blogger Cameron Slater on the phone and how many times, if any, has he texted him?
Rt Hon JOHN KEY (Prime Minister): None in my capacity as Prime Minister. More>>

ALSO:

Aussie Investigation Dropped: Call On Minister McCully To Pursue The Case Of Balibo Five

West Papua Action is deeply concerned at the lack of any clear outcome from the Australian Federal Police inquiry into the 1975 deaths of the ‘Balibo Five’ including NZ journalist Gary Cunningham. More>>

ALSO:

'Feed The Kids' Bill: Metiria Turei To Lead Fight On Feeding Hungry Children

Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei is urging all political parties to support the Feed the Kids Bill which she inherited today from Mana leader Hone Harawira. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: State Opening Of Parliament

The House sat at 10.30am on Tuesday before MPs were summoned to hear the Speech from the Throne in the Legislative Council Chamber. More>>

ALSO:

Tertiary Education: Students Doing It Tough As Fees Rise Again

The Government is making it increasingly difficult for Kiwis to gain tertiary education as fees continue to rise and access to student support becomes even more restricted, Labour’s Tertiary Education spokesperson Chris Hipkins says. More>>

ALSO:

Housing, Iraq: PM Press Conference – 20 October 2014

Prime Minister John Key met with press today to discuss:
• Housing prices and redevelopment in Auckland
• Discussions with Tony Abbott on the governmental response to ISIS, and New Zealand’s election to the UN Security Council More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news