Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Search for missing aircraft targets three areas

Search for missing aircraft targets three areas


The search for the missing aircraft which took off from Ardmore airfield, south-east of Auckland at 11.25am on Tuesday will resume today with three different search areas being targeted.

Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) Mission Controller Greg Johnston said information from the public was continuing to assist the searchers in identifying areas to cover.

Searching today would focus on three areas around the Coromandel.

The Auckland Police launch Deodar III and the Police National Dive Squad would today focus on Wainuiototo Bay , near where another search team spotted what looked like a small oil slick yesterday morning. Searching yesterday failed to locate the oil slick but the Police Dive Squad would today conduct a grid search of the area for any sign of the missing aircraft.

An RNZAF Iroquois Helicopter would search the eastern side of Coromandel Peninsula, from Cape Colville down to Matarangi.

The Philips Rescue Trust Helicopter out of Hamilton would search a bush area to the south of Miranda near the bottom of the Firth of Thames

The home-built aerobatic bi-plane, carrying only the 53-year-old male pilot from Mt Wellington, was heading in a north-easterly direction when it disappeared from radar, shortly after take-off. No distress beacon was activated, but the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) launched a search after a friend of the pilot reported concern for his safety.

Reported sightings by members of the public indicate the aircraft may have continued flying in a north-easterly direction.

Mr Johnston said RCCNZ was grateful for information provided by the public and asked anyone who had seen the plane on Tuesday 25th or had any information that might assist the search to contact RCCNZ on 0508 472 269 or the Police.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Legal Fudging Of The GCSB Revelations

As many have noted, the Hager/Snowden revelations of the spying by our security agencies on our Pacific neighbours and allies is a virtual re-run of the pre-election debate.

Unfortunately, it is also a forerunner of the kind of “ debate” we can expect during the upcoming review of the security agency powers, in June. It is a situation where the government (a) stonewalls, (b) baldly asserts that mass surveillance is not occurring despite the Snowden evidence that it is, and (c) claims that the GCSB actions were lawful.

Yet as Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman says, this can be true only if the legislation passed last year by the Key government has made the mass surveillance of New Zealanders – and the related handing over of their private data to the NSA – lawful. More>>

Latest:

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Women's Day, March 8: It’s Time For Men To Step Up For Gender Equality

UN Women is launching the HeForShe campaign in New Zealand at the International Women's Day Parliamentary Breakfast, and is calling on New Zealand men — including politicians and community and sports leaders — to show their commitment to gender equality by signing up to this global campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system... More>>

ALSO:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news