Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Rape and assault investigation needs information

Rape and assault investigation needs information


Who is this man? If you know, let us know

Thursday, 27 March 2014 - 1:35pm

National News

Police investigating the vicious rape and assault of a 34 year-old woman in the Symonds St cemetery in the early hours of Saturday, March 15, want to identify and locate a man whose image was captured on CCTV who was in the area at the time [see attached pic].

Detective Sergeant Geoff Baber of Auckland City CIB says it's important Police find out who the man is as he may have valuable information that could assist the investigation.

"No weapons were used in the attack that occurred after 4am on the 15th but the victim suffered serious injuries to her head, torso and legs as a result and was hospitalised for two days following.

"She was earlier approached by the man, a Caucasian of slim build wearing dark clothes, on the corner of Liverpool St and Karangahape Rd."

Investigators also want to hear from a woman who called Police on 111 at about 1.50am on the same date complaining of an 'attempted rape by a violent man in a car' in Hereford St or Hopetoun St.

"That woman's information was checked out by Police but it transpired the details she'd provided about her name and address were incorrect," Mr Baber said.

"We'd like that woman to contact us so that we can determine whether or not her complaint is related to the vicious attack on the 34 year-old woman a few hours later."

Anyone with any of the information sought should contact Detective Sergeant Baber on 021 191 6089, e-mailgeoffrey.baber@police.govt.nz or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On The Inquiry Into One Case Of Dirty Politics

Suddenly, we’re awash in inquiries and reviews. (It feels almost as if the Greens won the last election.) Caught out by the damning inquiry by SIS Inspector-General Cheryl Gwyn, the government’s response yesterday was utterly in character – it released two other major reports at the same time to try and distract public attention...

Inquiries are supposed to re-assure the public. What these inquiry outcomes share in common is a government culture of zero responsibility. More>>

 
 

Parliament Today:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Auckland Unification: 'No IT Cost Blowout' (Just More Expensive)

Following discussion of an update on Auckland Council’s Information Services Transformational Programme at today’s Finance and Performance Committee, council has released the report publicly. More>>

ALSO:

Other Expensive Things:

Gordon Campbell: On The SAS Role Against Islamic State, And Podemos

Only 25% of the US bombing runs are even managing to locate IS targets worth bombing. As the NYT explains at length, this underlines the need for better on-the-ground intelligence to direct the air campaign to where the bad guys have holed up... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news