Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Search for missing aircraft – Update 8

Search for missing aircraft – Update 8

An RNZAF Iroquois Helicopter will today search the northern end of the Coromandel Peninsula for the missing aircraft which took off from Ardmore airfield, south-east of Auckland at 11.25am on Tuesday.

Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) Mission Coordinator Neville Blakemore said the area had not yet been covered by search teams looking for the aerobatic home-built bi-plane and its sole occupant, a 53-year-old male pilot from Mt Wellington.

The Iroquois was expected to be airborne around 9.30am.

“At the same time, we will be doing a comprehensive review of the search and all the information received by the public to assess what our next steps should be,” Mr Blakemore said.

“If anyone has any further information, or remembers seeing the plane on Tuesday, please contact RCCNZ or the Police.”

Mr Blakemore said the response from the public to RCCNZ’s appeal for information relating to the search had been outstanding.

Yesterday, five search areas were covered by search teams, comprising Wainuiototo Bay, the eastern side of the Coromandel Peninsula, a bush area to south of Miranda, the Karangahake Gorge between Paeroa and Waihi, and the northern end of the Firth of Thames.

The missing plane was heading in a north-easterly direction when it disappeared from radar, shortly after take-off around 11.30 on Tuesday morning. No distress beacon was activated, but RCCNZ launched a search after a friend of the pilot reported concern for his safety.

Reported sightings by members of the public indicate the aircraft is likely to have continued flying in a north-easterly direction.

Anyone who saw the plane on Tuesday (25 March) or had any information that might assist the search should contact RCCNZ on 0508 472 269 or the Police.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, am responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

Update: After a seven hour caucus meeting David Cunliffe has announced Chris Hipkins and Carmel Sepuloni as new party whips and said the Labour council will hold an independent review into the election result. He did not comment on any leadership vote.

 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news