Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Consultation on proposed Cambridge Avenue roundabout

31 March 2013

Consultation underway on proposed Cambridge Avenue and Mulgrave Street roundabout

Ashhurst residents are being asked for their opinion on a proposal to build a roundabout at the intersection of Cambridge Avenue and Mulgrave Street and to reduce access to it from ancillary roads.

The proposal is part of the upgrade of the Saddle Road that was announced last year. Recently funding to upgrade the Ashhurst Village section of the route was approved by NZTA.

Palmerston North City Council is now keen to hear what you think of the proposal before the plans are finalised and the project goes out for tender.

Road planning team leader, David Lane says “Council is aware of the public concern about safety at the intersection and that some travellers were confused about which direction to travel while the Gorge was closed.

“In developing the proposal Council has tried to weigh up the needs of Village residents as well as those who live on and regularly use Saddle Road and those who live further afield in Pohangina Valley and Bunnythorpe. We have also taken into account the importance of the Ashhurst / Bunnythorpe Road as a route used by heavy vehicles travelling to the Gorge.”

The proposal includes moving the entrance of Pembroke Street back away from the intersection and closing off Winchester Street from the intersection entrance thereby redirecting traffic through Petes Way, next to St Mary Magdalene Church, to Cambridge Avenue.

“The idea here is to improve safety for residents of Pembroke and Winchester, while at the same time minimising potential confusion for those travelling through the Village when the Gorge closes again,” says David.

A large drawing of the proposed changes will be on display in the Ashhurst Community Library from8 April through to 14 April along with advice on how to make a submission on the proposal.

David says if anyone wants to discuss the plans with a Council officer then pop along to the library on Tuesday, 8 April between 12 noon and 1:30pm or on Monday, 14 April between 5pm and 6pm.

For those unable to make it to the library there will be a public meeting in the Village Valley Centre on Wednesday, 9 April at 7pm.

Otherwise head on line to pncc.govt.nz keyword search: Consultation. Submissions close on 17 April.

David says information gathered during the consultation will be considered before the final design process is completed.

Work on other sections of the Saddle Road upgrade will begin shortly and is being managed by Tararua District Council, however David says the Ashhurst Village section will not start until later this year.

“We want to hear from residents about their thoughts and concerns, which will be considered and incorporated into the final design if appropriate prior to tendering. In the middle of the year we’ll publish the final design here in Village Voice before work commences.

During consultation Council will also ask residents for their views on whether Hillary Crescent should be closed at Cambridge Avenue. This option will be considered if there is support from the community as it will address known safety problems along the current route and will better channel traffic flows, including trucks, through the major roads network.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

TAIC: Final Report On Grounding Of MV Rena

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission (the Commission) concluded that the Rena grounding was not in any way attributable to the malfunction of any on-board machinery or equipment, including on-board navigational equipment. Factors that directly contributed to the grounding included the crew:

- not following standard good practice for planning and executing the voyage
- not following standard good practice for navigation watchkeeping
- not following standard good practice when taking over control of the ship. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Parliament Adjourns:

Gordon Campbell:
On The Pakistan Schoolchildren Killings

The slaughter of the children in Pakistan is incomprehensibly awful. On the side, it has thrown a spotlight onto something that’s become a pop cultural meme. Fans of the Homeland TV series will be well aware of the collusion between sections of the Pakistan military/security establishment on one hand and sections of the Taliban of the other… More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Satire:
The Politician’s Song

am a perfect picture of the modern politic-i-an:
I don’t precisely have a plan so much as an ambition;
‘Say what will sound most pleasant to the public’ is my main dictum:
And when in doubt attack someone who already is a victim More>>

ALSO:

Flight: Review Into Phillip Smith’s Escape Submitted To Government

The review follows an earlier operational review by the Department of Corrections and interim measures put in place by the Department shortly after prisoner Smith’s escape, and will inform the Government Inquiry currently underway. More>>

ALSO:

Intelligence: Inspector-General Accepts Apology For Leak Of Report

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, Cheryl Gwyn, has accepted an unreserved apology from Hon Phil Goff MP for disclosing some of the contents of her recent Report into the Release of Information by the NZSIS in July and August 2011 to media prior to its publication. The Inspector-General will not take the matter any further. More>>

ALSO:

Drink: Alcohol Advertising Report Released

The report of the Ministerial Forum on Alcohol Advertising and Sponsorship has been released today, with Ministers noting that further work will be required on the feasibility and impact of the proposals. More>>

ALSO:

Other Report:

NSW Police Statement: Three Dead Following Martin Place Siege

About 2.10am (Tuesday 16 December), a confrontation occurred between police and a man who had taken a number of people hostage inside a café on Martin Place. Shots were fired during the confrontation. As a result, the 50-year-old man was pronounced dead after being taken to hospital. Another man, aged 34, and a woman, aged 38, were pronounced dead after being taken to hospital. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Sydney Siege (And DHB Budget Cuts)
Whenever the authorities bring a siege situation to an end, there will be criticism if – as has happened in Sydney – any hostages are seriously hurt, or killed... In the Sydney Morning Herald this morning, columnist Peter Hartcher raises a different point – that the initial public response had been noticeably different to the agitated reactions of politicians and the media. More>>

ALSO:

Leaked Cabinet Papers: Treasury Calls For Health Cuts

Leaked Cabinet papers that show that Government has been advised to cut the health budget by around $200 million is ringing alarm bells throughout the nursing and midwifery community. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news