Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Plan Change 6A to be operative from May 1

MEDIA RELEASE


March 31, 2014
Plan Change 6A to be operative from May 1

New water quality discharge rules in the Otago Water Plan will become operative on May 1 after the Otago Regional Council last week approved Plan Change 6A it in its final form.

The Environment Court issued a Consent Order on February 28 incorporating amendments to the plan change, which emerged from a mediation process involving the council and appellants of the council’s original decisions on 6A.

Council approval of the mediated plan change was the last step needed to fully incorporate the new rules into the Water Plan.

The plan change sets out an effects-based approach to managing discharges to water, based around limits and targets, with a focus on controlling contaminant discharges, rather than regulating the land use activities that create them.

Discharge thresholds are set for common contaminants entering waterways, and discharges within those thresholds are classed as permitted activities. Land managers are given flexibility and the opportunity to meet the thresholds as they see fit.

ORC director policy, planning, and resource management Fraser McRae said that although the plan change had gone through a mediation process, the key focus of the rules was unchanged: maintaining and improving water quality where necessary to ensure that waterways are fit for recreational use and food gathering.

ORC chairman Stephen Woodhead said the Environment Court’s acceptance of the amendments made to the plan change through mediation and the council’s ratification of the plan change ended a long and constructive process of consultation and negotiation with the community.

“Now that this phase has come to a close, another important phase of implementation and education is about to begin,” Mr Woodhead said.

“I am confident that many landholders, based on the feedback we have gotten from them throughout this process, will be pro-active about ensuring their properties comply with the new contaminant discharge thresholds which come into effect from April 2020.”

“The transition time gives farmers and foresters enough time to work together to assess the individual and joint effects of their operations on water quality in local catchment areas. If they find any adaptations are needed to comply, they have plenty of time to put them in place,” Mr Woodhead said.

The council would run an extensive liaison programme with Otago farmers and foresters to help them understand the new rules; advise them on where, when, and how to sample and assess water quality on their properties; and to highlight best practice for reducing contaminants entering local waterways.

“For those for whom complying may be more difficult, our staff and other primary industry advisors will work supportively to guide and educate them about the practices they may need to adopt to comply,” Mr Woodhead said.

A stakeholders forum and a series of roadshows throughout the region will be held over the winter months to help landholders understand the rules. Council staff are preparing a range of factsheets, guides, and web-based advice which will be available at these events. The long-term water quality liaison programme will follow on from the roadshows.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On The Inquiry Into One Case Of Dirty Politics

Suddenly, we’re awash in inquiries and reviews. (It feels almost as if the Greens won the last election.) Caught out by the damning inquiry by SIS Inspector-General Cheryl Gwyn, the government’s response yesterday was utterly in character – it released two other major reports at the same time to try and distract public attention...

Inquiries are supposed to re-assure the public. What these inquiry outcomes share in common is a government culture of zero responsibility. More>>

IGIS: Statement On Early Report Release

As the Inspector-General stated at the release of the report yesterday morning, she is examining what steps to take over the early disclosure of information from the report... Ms Gwyn said that she was aware of Mr Goff's subsequent statements that he had disclosed some information concerning findings in the report. She will be seeking further information from Mr Goff and others. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS ON SIS:

 
 

Parliament Today:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

White Ribbon Day: Govt Resumes Sexual Violence Trial Proceedings Work

Justice Minister Amy Adams has asked the Law Commission to resume work on proposals for better supporting victims of sexual violence through the criminal process. The Law Commission will revisit its previous work on alternative pre-trial and trial processes to identify options for improving complainants’ experience in court. More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news