Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Best result in two decades

Best result in two decades

Auckland City Police District has recorded its lowest level of annual total crime in 20 years.

The number of crimes in the District in the calendar year 2013 dropped by just under 10 per cent on the previous year to 43,734 offences, representing 4,788 fewer offences.

Put another way, there were 977 crimes per 10,000 head of population in the City District in 2013 compared to 1,098 in 2012, a variation of -11 percent.

District Commander, Superintendent Mike Clement, says the impressive result has come about through the continued hard work, dedication and focus of all staff in the district.

"Our ongoing focus on preventing crime, particularly all aspects of property crime, has consistently paid dividends for the communities we police in Auckland and contributes greatly to our efforts to achieve a national 13 percent reduction in total crime by June 30 this year.

"It was also pleasing to see year-on-year significant reductions in burglary with a drop of 13.9 per cent in unlawful entry with intent/burglary, break and enter (nearly 1,000 fewer offences) after a significant decline the previous year of 18.8 per cent had been achieved."

However, the two categories of crime that made up the bulk of the district's 43,734 offences last year are still unlawful entry with intent/burglary (14.44 percent) and theft and related offences (45.63 per cent.)

While theft and related offences were down 6.7 per cent (a reduction of 1,436 offences) after a decline of 16.5 per cent in 2012, there are still many cases of the public being able to prevent thefts.

By reducing opportunities for offenders to commit such crimes through keeping items of value out of view in parked vehicles and by being mindful of security of personal possessions when out and about, the incidence of these offences will continue to decline.

The district recorded four murders in 2013, all of which have been resolved. Assaults, down by 5.4 per cent on 2012, totalled 3,289 and sexual assaults and related offences were up by 82 recorded offences to total 372.

In summary, Mr Clement said that the results were achieved by having a district-wide focus on priorities, being able to effectively deploy staff to target known offenders, victims and locations, by maintaining valuable community and partner relationships and by enabling staff to work more effectively through the proper distribution of resources and tools that mean they spend more time on the street, are more visible to the public and are less reliant on buildings.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Werewolf: John Pilger, And Making War On China

In July, the New Zealand Defence Force is scheduled to join the latest round of Talisman Sabre, a huge training exercise that Australia carries out biennially in conjunction with all four arms of the US military.

Last time around in 2015, New Zealand contributed 650 personnel, 45 vehicles and two of our $NZ771 million dollar fleet of NH90 helicopters to this regional war game.

What’s weird is that Talisman Sabre is actually a rehearsal for an assault on China and its ability to defend itself. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Urban Planning Report: Momentum Grows To Replace The RMA

A major new report from the Productivity Commission lays the foundation for action on the growing political consensus that the Resource Management Act and associated laws are failing both cities and the natural environment and need a complete rewrite. More>>

ALSO:

Vaping: Quitline Supports Decision To Legalise Nicotine E-Cigarettes

Today Associate Minister of Health, Hon Nicky Wagner has announced that Government are taking the proactive step of legalising nicotine e-cigarettes, a move which Quitline is pleased to hear and support wholeheartedly. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Labour/Greens Deal (And The NZDF)

If Labour and the Greens were hoping their Budget Responsibility Rules (BRR) agreement would foster an unlikely alliance then hey… mission accomplished! Because it isn’t every day that Sue Bradford, the CTU and Matthew Hooton speak with one voice, as happened yesterday. More>>

ALSO:

Until After The Election: Extension Of Report-Back Date For Havelock North Inquiry

Attorney-General Christopher Finlayson announced today that the report-back date for the independent Inquiry into Havelock North Drinking-Water has been extended at the request of the Inquiry’s Panel. More>>

ALSO:

Little Heading For Court: Apology Over Donation/Hotel Contract Claims Not Accepted

Today I want to publicly apologise unreservedly to Mr Hagaman for any hurt, embarrassment or adverse reflection on his reputation which may have resulted from my various media statements. I have offered that apology to the Hagamans. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news