Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Earthquake Prone Building list procedural error

Earthquake Prone Building list procedural error


Earlier this week Palmerston North City Council issued a media release highlighting five additional buildings being added to the Earthquake Prone Building List. Unfortunately, Council’s internal procedure was not followed and the buildings have been removed from the list for the time being.

The Earthquake Prone Building List comprises mostly of Unreinforced Masonry Buildings in the city centre and the buildings listed are below 33 per cent of what is required for new buildings. The Building Act 2004 defines buildings below 33 per cent of code as earthquake-prone and having greater risk of collapse in a moderate earthquake.

Buildings are added to the list after an initial conservative assessment is carried out by a consulting engineer on behalf of the Council. It is updated every few months as more buildings in the city are assessed.

Peter Eathorne, general manager Customer Services, says while the buildings uploaded to the list have been assessed as Earthquake Prone by a qualified independent structural engineer, Council staff omitted to alert the building’s owners to the results of the assessment.

“Palmerston North City Council is one of only a few Councils in New Zealand to have a public Earthquake Prone Building List. The decision to do so was based on the public’s right to know and is something we’re proud of,” says Peter.

Council’s internal procedure is to write to the building owner(s) explaining Council’s process, supply a copy of the building assessment and provide the building owner(s) with a one month grace period. This is to allow the owner(s) the opportunity to obtain an independent report from a qualified structural Engineer, or communicate an acceptance of the Council assessment.

After that period of grace the Council uploads the information to the Earthquake Prone Building List.

“I sincerely apologise to the owners of the five buildings identified earlier this week as earthquake prone. We have since removed them from the list on Council’s website and I have personally rung the building owners and apologised.”

The building owners now have one month to respond to the assessment before they are uploaded to the list.

Peter Eathorne says the procedure has been looked at and a system improvement has been implemented to ensure this unfortunate error will not be repeated.

The full list can be found at: http://bit.ly/1suh4MG.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news