Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Royal Opening of Christchurch Botanic GardensCentre

Royals to open the new Christchurch Botanic Gardens Visitor Centre


The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will today formally open the new Christchurch Botanic Gardens Visitor Centre by cutting a floral rope.

Designed along the lines of a giant glasshouse, the new $16.4 million building will combine a working nursery with a permanent exhibition telling the story of Christchurch through plants and gardens. It also has a gift shop, café (opening in May), function centre, and a botanical research herbarium and library.

The opening by the Royal couple will take place at 12.30pm.

Mayor Lianne Dalziel says the Botanic Gardens, which attract more than a million visitors annually and last year celebrated its 150th anniversary, holds a special place in the hearts of Christchurch people.

“Amid the destruction left by the earthquakes the Botanic Gardens provided us with a place of peace and beauty to relax in.

“The Duke of Cambridge visited us in the aftermath of February 2011 to offer us his support. It is wonderful to welcome him back with the Duchess of Cambridge to celebrate the opening of the Botanic Gardens Visitor Centre, one of the first new Christchurch City Council facilities completed since the earthquakes.”

“This bright airy building is a far cry from the original staff building that stood on this site – it had separate staff rooms for men and women and chicken wire was put over the chimney to keep the possums out.”

At 4pm the Mayor will host 180 invited guests to formally hand over the visitor centre to the city and she will receive a botanical painting by eminent local botanist Hugh Wilson to be hung in the new building.

The building will be open to the public on Tuesday 15 April from 8.30am.

- ends -

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2040 Target And Lower Standards: “Swimmable” Rivers Five Times More Likely To Make You Sick

Forest & Bird has condemned the government’s new water quality standards, warning New Zealanders that they lock in current levels of water pollution and allow for a 5-fold increase in the chance of getting sick from swimming in a river.

“Despite an explicit assurance from Minister Smith that the new water standards would provide for human and ecosystem health, he has failed to deliver on either of these things,” says Forest & Bird CEO Kevin Hague. More>>

 

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news