Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Christchurch Housing Accord Announced

Wednesday 16 April 2014
Christchurch Housing Accord Announced

The acute shortage of affordable housing in Christchurch will only be solved by the Christchurch City Council and the Government working together, Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel says.

The Mayor and the Minister of Housing Dr Nick Smith today signed a Housing Accord to increase the number of affordable houses in the city, including social housing.

The Accord is subject to ratification by full Council based on the outcome of consultation with residents on the Council’s role in providing affordable housing.

Under the proposed Accord, the Government will invest $75 million through a new Christchurch Housing Accord Fund, and the Council $50 million in a new housing entity which will act as a catalyst by encouraging private investment in housing developments.

The Accord also establishes a Joint Housing Steering Group that will report monthly on progress of the residential building in Christchurch and any areas of concern arising from the implementation of the Land Use Recovery Plan (LURP) or the impact of the regulatory environment on development.

The Government plans to develop two villages totalling 180 homes on Council-owned land in Colombo Street (the former Sydenham School site) and Welles Street.

The proposal is for the Council to sell the land at fair market value and for the Crown to defer payment.

“The earthquakes have created a huge housing shortage in the city. As a result many residents are living in dire circumstances, forced to pay unrealistically high rentals for accommodation, some of which is substandard,” Lianne Dalziel says.

“Housing is one of this Council’s top priorities. From our perspective, it is not acceptable to have families living in garages because that is their only option. The Accord is a very significant in that it acknowledges the seriousness of the current housing shortage in the city and proposes a way forward.”

Lianne Dalziel says it is important that the developments “build communities, not just houses.”

The proposed new housing entity will secure the sustainability of the Council’s involvement in social housing, Lianne Dalziel says. “The new entity will have the status of a registered community housing provider and have access to the Government’s income-related rent subsidy for eligible tenants. Most of our tenants will be better off.”

“This Council has a proud record in social housing dating back to 1936 and we want to ensure that our most vulnerable community members continue to have access to affordable housing.”

The Council also needs to decide whether or not to formally request Christchurch City Holdings (CCHL) provide $50 million over three years for the investment in the new housing entity.

“We have been working on the proposed Accord since late last year. Today’s signing of the Accord definitely represents progress,” Lianne Dalziel says. “ We look forward to receiving the views of our community during the upcoming consultation.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City between Paterson Street and Buckle Street/Taranaki Street...

Parties specified under Section 149Q(3) of the RMA now have 20 working days to make comments on minor or technical aspects of the report. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Waitangi Tribunal: Report On The MV Rena

In its interim report, the Waitangi Tribunal has found that the Crown’s conduct in response to the grounding of the MV Rena on Otaiti (Astrolabe) reef breached the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi. More>>

ALSO:

Gaza: Wellington Protest For Palestine Calls For End To Bombing

Around 300 people gathered outside the Israeli Embassy in Wellington on Friday to protest Israel’s occupation of Palestine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Failure To Prosecute The GCSB

So one hand of the state – the Independent Police Conduct Authority – has now washed the hands of its brother agencies, and declared that all hands are clean. Case closed. More>>

ALSO:

Illegal Search: Police Behaviour 'Reminiscent Of Tūhoe Raids'

"Māori will lose further trust and confidence in the New Zealand Police and the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) if the recent incident in Stratford is not adequately addressed. This behaviour would not occur in Epsom or Khandallah so why should police think that such behaviour was acceptable in Stratford," says Chris McKenzie. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news