Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Environment Canterbury keen to help people keep warm this wi

April 17, 2014
MEDIA RELEASE
Environment Canterbury keen to help people keep warm this winter

Environment Canterbury has welcomed the number of people who have responded to the letters sent out to homeowners reminding them that this winter they cannot use their wood burner if it is 15 or more years old.

As part of the on-going commitment to improve the community’s health by cleaning up winter air in Canterbury, approximately 5000 letters went sent out to owners of non-compliant burners in Christchurch, Rangiora and Kaiapoi. To date 500 people have called in response to the letter.

Commissioner David Bedford says “This winter we are taking a firm line about not using these wood burners because of the amount of pollution they add to our air. However, the letter let people know that they can continue to use their older wood burner if they have a mitigating circumstance such as being in an earthquake or flood damaged and are waiting for it to be repaired or rebuilt. All they need to do is to call and let us know.

“They can also let Environment Canterbury know if they are waiting for their wood burner to be installed or are having financial hardship.

“We do need to remember that 80% of Christchurch people have made the move to clean up our winter air by using a non-polluting appliance to heat their home,’’ says Mr Bedford.

“However we know everyone’s situation is different and it is not always easy to make a change. That is why we are responding to the calls and trying to help out where possible.’’

Environment Canterbury is working closely with such agencies as Community Energy Action and can refer people facing hardship for help from these groups.

Of the people who have called in, 216 were to report that they had already changed their burner, 227 to report earthquake or flooding damage, 32 waiting for installation of their new burner, 19 with financial hardship and six with health issues.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Werewolf: John Pilger, And Making War On China

In July, the New Zealand Defence Force is scheduled to join the latest round of Talisman Sabre, a huge training exercise that Australia carries out biennially in conjunction with all four arms of the US military.

Last time around in 2015, New Zealand contributed 650 personnel, 45 vehicles and two of our $NZ771 million dollar fleet of NH90 helicopters to this regional war game.

What’s weird is that Talisman Sabre is actually a rehearsal for an assault on China and its ability to defend itself. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Urban Planning Report: Momentum Grows To Replace The RMA

A major new report from the Productivity Commission lays the foundation for action on the growing political consensus that the Resource Management Act and associated laws are failing both cities and the natural environment and need a complete rewrite. More>>

ALSO:

Vaping: Quitline Supports Decision To Legalise Nicotine E-Cigarettes

Today Associate Minister of Health, Hon Nicky Wagner has announced that Government are taking the proactive step of legalising nicotine e-cigarettes, a move which Quitline is pleased to hear and support wholeheartedly. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Labour/Greens Deal (And The NZDF)

If Labour and the Greens were hoping their Budget Responsibility Rules (BRR) agreement would foster an unlikely alliance then hey… mission accomplished! Because it isn’t every day that Sue Bradford, the CTU and Matthew Hooton speak with one voice, as happened yesterday. More>>

ALSO:

Until After The Election: Extension Of Report-Back Date For Havelock North Inquiry

Attorney-General Christopher Finlayson announced today that the report-back date for the independent Inquiry into Havelock North Drinking-Water has been extended at the request of the Inquiry’s Panel. More>>

ALSO:

Little Heading For Court: Apology Over Donation/Hotel Contract Claims Not Accepted

Today I want to publicly apologise unreservedly to Mr Hagaman for any hurt, embarrassment or adverse reflection on his reputation which may have resulted from my various media statements. I have offered that apology to the Hagamans. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news