Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Submissions in on Regional Council’s Draft Annual Plan

Submissions in on Regional Council’s Draft Annual Plan


28 April 2014

More than 80 people and groups have made submissions to Bay of Plenty Regional Council’s draft Annual Plan.

Submissions closed on Thursday 17 April. Topics covered by submitters include wastewater treatment in the Rotorua Lakes communities, mangrove removal in Tauranga Harbour, flood protection on the Waioeka-Otara rivers, a request for council support for public art adjacent to the Tauranga Eastern Link road and a request for a new Kaitikati to Waihī Beach summer bus service.

The Regional Council has proposed a general rates rise which will mean an average increase per property of $2 per year, depending on where you live.

Its Draft Annual Plan for 2014/15 is based on Year Three of its Ten Year Plan, and sets out the Council’s key programmes and projects for the coming year, how much they will cost and where funding will come from.


Targeted rates will continue for four specific areas of work – passenger transport in Tauranga and Rotorua urban areas, Rotorua Lakes, Rotorua air in the city’s urban area and river and drainage schemes.

The Council is proposing operating expenditure of $95.5 million, which would allow for more spending in specific areas such as water management, while reducing spending in other areas to reflect internal efficiency savings, Chairman Doug Leeder said.

The Council would continue to use investment income to reduce general rates while maintaining levels of service, Mr Leeder said.

Public hearings will be held in early May for those who wish to present their submission in person, and the Council will deliberate on 29 May before adopting the final Annual Plan on 26 June.
Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Detention, Community Work

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news