Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Arrests prove value in recording serial numbers

Father and son's arrests prove value in recording serial numbers and provides warning to gun owners

Friday, 2 May 2014 - 1:01pm

Waikato

Waikato Police say the arrest of two men at a rural property near Ngatea highlights two important points they wish to share with the public, the value of recording serial numbers of your valuables and that firearms owners are accountable for their actions.

Detective Sergeant Neville Ross of the Waikato Tactical Crime Unit said officers had gone to a Kaihere address on Tuesday afternoon to speak to a 34-year-old man in relation to a burglary of a home in which a number of firearms were stolen some months ago.

"On our arrival at the property the man's 61-year-old father was one of several family members Police came across in the lounge while the man we wanted to speak to was asleep in a sleep-out.

"The man's father, who is a licensed firearms owner, offered to show our staff where his legitimately owned firearms were secured in his safe but when he went into his bedroom accompanied by two of our officers, the father picked up a military style semi-automatic rifle."

Mr Ross said this created a very volatile situation made all the worse by the father's refusal to but the gun down.

"Disarmed by one of our staff, the father was brought out of the bedroom but as he was coming back to the lounge the father attacked one of the Police officers, punching him repeatedly in the face.

"At this point the man was restrained, handcuffed and removed from the house. Though safely resolved, the situation was very disappointing in that the father's grandchildren were present in the lounge and had to witness the attack on the officer."

Mr Ross said while the father was being arrested, his son, who was the person Police had originally come to speak to had been brought from the sleep-out into the house and physically tried to prevent officers arresting his father.

"This resulted in the son's arrest. When he was secured a search was conducted of his sleep-out which recovered in the recovery of a small amount of cannabis and a DVD player.

"A serial number check of the DVD player revealed it was stolen in 2008. The recording of the serial number by the original owner made all the difference in enabling us to prove the man illegally had it in his possession. We encourage all owners of valuable property to enter their serial numbers on databases such as that available on the Operation SNAP website, (www.snap.org.nz

External Links icon

)."

Mr Ross said the other important message to remember is that firearms ownership is a privilege, not a right and a key part of being granted a firearms licence is the owner is a fit and proper person.

"Police would suggest having a restricted weapon in your possession in breach of your licence conditions and confronting our staff with it falls outside the acceptable limits of fit and proper behaviour."
As a result of Tuesday's incident a 61-year-old man faces unlawfully carrying a restricted weapon, leaving a firearm loaded, unlawful possession of a restricted weapon and assaulting Police charges.

A 34-year-old man arrested at the same property is facing misuse of drugs, obstructing Police and receiving property charges.

Mr Ross said enquiries into tracing the eight firearms and other miscellaneous property taken in the earlier burglary are continuing.

End

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Tomorrow’s Speeches By John Key And
Andrew Little

The Key government has already kicked off the political year on a stridently ideological note, with Environment Minister Nick Smith choosing to lay all manner of sins at the door of the Resource Management Act.

Tomorrow, the government will wheeling out its best salesman – Prime Minister John Key – to sell its plans for state housing, which happens to be another of the government’s most contentious, most ideologically-driven policy packages. Presumably, Key will be trying not to double down on the rhetoric, and thereby leave room for Labour leader Andrew Little to sound like the centrist voice of reason.

Key will have his work cut out, though. More>>

 
 

Transport: Auckland Looks To Light Rail

The Board of Auckland Transport has called for an investigation into a light rail network, which could relieve traffic congestion on some of the region’s busiest roads. This stems from work in 2012 (the City Centre Future Access study) which responded to a government request to develop a robust and achievable solution for access to the CBD. More>>

ALSO:

RMA: Smith's Claims Don't Match Evidence - Greens

The Motu group’s research into the impacts of planning rules looked at the costs related to housing development but not the benefits of environmental protections and does not recommend significant changes to the RMA to reduce the cost of new house builds. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Similarities Between John Key And David Cameron

For years now, David Cameron has been the closest available thing to a mentor/analogue to our Prime Minister, such that Key watchers could be interested in an analysis of Cameron that appeared in the British press over the Christmas break. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Ian Fletcher Resignation & GCSB’s New Role

It may well be that after being shoulder-tapped in Queensland for the GCSB job, three years of living in Wellington has been enough for Fletcher and his family, given that the pending review of the GCSB would have required an even longer commitment from him. Three years of Wellington’s weather is enough for anyone... More>>

ALSO:

Ian Apperley: $10m Or $100m For New Wellington Council IT System?

I feel a Tui Billboard coming on. I commented the other day that it looked like the Council’s Ninth big project was a potential $100 million plus... The Mayor has responded: “I am reassured by the Chief Executive and by Anthony Wilson that the proposed budget is in the region of $10 million.” More>>

ALSO:

Southern Ocean:
Navy Intercepts Illegal Fishing Vessels

Foreign Minister Murray McCully today put illegal fishing vessels operating in the Southern Ocean on notice and vowed to take action against their owners. “As part of a multi-agency operation, the HMNZS WELLINGTON has intercepted two vessels claiming to be flagged to Equatorial Guinea, fishing illegally in the Southern Ocean.” Mr McCully says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news