Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Still time to give feedback on Wellington’s public transport

Still time to give feedback on blueprint for Wellington’s public transport

People still have a week to give feedback on the Regional Council’s ambitious plan to significantly improve public transport in the Wellington region.

Paul Swain, the Regional Council’s Public Transport Portfolio Leader, says the blueprint aims to make public transport more reliable, convenient and better value for money. “The more people who choose to take the bus, train and harbour ferry instead of the car, the better it is for traffic flows on busy roads and highways, our environment and our region’s economy.

“Wellington has a pretty good public transport network now – we have the highest patronage for our population size in New Zealand and the fourth highest of all Australasian cities. But we can do better. We’re aiming for a 15 – 20% increase in patronage over the next few years and this plan shows what we’re going to do to achieve that.

“A key element of the plan is a new Wellington City bus network that will provide more frequent bus services, quicker travelling times and more evening and weekend services for smaller and outer suburbs. The new network will support the Bus Rapid Transit spine that’s planned for central Wellington in the next eight years.

“We’re keen to hear what people think of the new routes and also to give us feedback on what’s most important when it comes to renewing the bus fleet.

“We plan to build on the major improvements we’ve made to train services over the last few years, with more frequent services from the inner hubs like Waterloo and Porirua and faster and more reliable services on longer distance lines such as Upper Hutt and Kapiti.

“The glue that binds the whole plan together is a new fares and ticketing system that will allow people to use one card for all public transport services throughout the region. The new system, which will begin rolling out from 2017, will make using public transport easier and more convenient.

“While public transport isn't for everyone, our aim is to make trains, buses and harbour ferries more reliable and convenient so that public transport becomes a viable option for more and more people, particularly at peak time."

Submissions on the draft Regional Public Transport Plan close on Friday 9 May. See www.gw.govt.nz/ptplan for details and an online submission form.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pacific Spying: Mass Surveillance Of NZers Confirmed By Former GCSB Director - Contradicting PM John Key

Scoop Editor Alastair Thompson Reports: Yesterday morning former GCSB Director Sir Bruce Ferguson confirmed mass surveillance of New Zealnders in the Pacific is taking place as revealed in the latest Snowden leaks investigated by Nicky Hager. In 2013 John Key told press gallery reporters that in the event mass surveillance was found have been conducted by the GCSB, he and the director of the GCSB - his childhood friend Ian Fletcher - would resign. As the controversy deepens a year and half later Fletcher has already resigned. But will Key? More>>

Gordon Campbell: Legal Fudging Of The GCSB Revelations

As many have noted, the Hager/Snowden revelations of the spying by our security agencies on our Pacific neighbours and allies is a virtual re-run of the pre-election debate. It is a situation where the government (a) stonewalls, (b) baldly asserts that mass surveillance is not occurring despite the Snowden evidence that it is, and (c) claims that the GCSB actions were lawful. Yet as Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman says, this can be true only if the legislation passed last year by the Key government has made the mass surveillance of New Zealanders – and the related handing over of their private data to the NSA – lawful. More>>

Latest:

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Women's Day, March 8: It’s Time For Men To Step Up For Gender Equality

UN Women is launching the HeForShe campaign in New Zealand at the International Women's Day Parliamentary Breakfast, and is calling on New Zealand men — including politicians and community and sports leaders — to show their commitment to gender equality by signing up to this global campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system... More>>

ALSO:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news