Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


New Chum Beach development on hold

New Chum Beach development on hold


A subdivision application to develop land above New Chum Beach is currently on hold while further information is provided by the applicant.

The resource consent application is for the creation of one conservation, along with a boundary relocation. The application is also for a house on each of the three lots. The application, which was lodged before the Proposed District Plan (December 2013 version) was notified, so is treated as a "controlled activity," under the rules of the Operative District Plan.
Last night TV3’s Campbell Live programme featured a story on the proposed development which canbe viewed here.


Consent details
In processing the resource consent our Council is now waiting for:
1 - More detail around the ecological report and the on-going management of the covenanted area;
2 - A more detailed visual assessment particularly in relation to the visibility of the house sites from New Chum beach;
3 - A detailed landscape plan
4 - Confirmation around the roading and access issues that the application can meet the district plan standards.
“We understand the high public interest in any development at New Chum, like any other area of our pristine coastal environment,” says Mayor Glenn Leach. “We also want to investigate and work with the applicant on how we can manage the environmental impacts involved with the growing number of visitors who are coming to New Chum”.
"We'll be pushing for a natural buffer zone between the development and the beach. This would run the full length of the beach and be maintained by a covenant, potentially through the QEII Trust or TCDC," says Mayor Leach.

Meanwhile in accordance with the Resource Management Act, a decision on notification - either limited or public - has not been made yet and our staff are carefully considering all aspects of the application.

Click here to listen to an interview with landowner John Darby did with the NZ Herald about his project plans.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news