Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Calling for Wellington’s safety heroes

12 May 2014

Calling for Wellington’s safety heroes

Nominations are being called for the tenth annual Safety in the City Awards, which recognises people who have shown amazing bravery in a particular situation, or who have worked tirelessly to keep Wellington and Wellingtonians safe. Nominations close July 31.

Mayor Celia Wade Brown says the awards honour brave Wellingtonians from many different backgrounds and occupations.

“While Police and the emergency services are our frontline, we know there are many others in our community who work to keep us safe and who are worthy of a Safety in the City Award,” says Mayor Wade-Brown. “Who’s been a hero in your neighbourhood this year?

“We want to hear from the Wellington public about who they think deserves a Safety in the City award.

“Bravery comes in many forms, from seeking help for a domestic violence incidence to climbing up on your neighbour’s roof during a storm to help fix the roofing iron and many other examples, so let’s hear from you,” she says.

Nominations often relate to personal or community safety, crime and disorder, and responding to accidents and emergencies. They can recognise individual acts of bravery and compassion, through to a lifetime of acting in the interests of keeping Wellingtonians safe.

Nominees should be residents of Wellington City or people whose actions have contributed to safety in the Capital.

Last year’s awards recognised the actions, deeds and long-serving commitment of many Wellingtonians, including police, builders, swimming instructors, surf lifesavers, quick-thinking neighbours, security volunteers and residents who simply saw someone else in need, and acted accordingly.

The Safety in the City Awards will be presented at a ceremony held at St James Theatre on September 4.

Send your nominations by 31 July to:

Emma McGill
City Safety Advisor
Address: PO Box 2199, Wellington
Email: emma.McGill@wcc.govt.nz
Phone: (04) 803 8200

Nominations should include:
• Name, address (if known) and contact details of person or organisation
• Description of what they did or do
• Short biography
• your own name, address and contact details.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience.

“Labour has many new and highly capable MPs who will have the opportunity to prove their ability. At the same time our senior hands will be on deck to take the fight to the National-led Government and support our upcoming stars,” Andrew Little says.

“I am pleased to announce Annette King will be my deputy for the coming year. In recent weeks she has shown how crucial her wisdom and strength is to Labour. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:


Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Auckland Unification: 'No IT Cost Blowout' (Just More Expensive)

Following discussion of an update on Auckland Council’s Information Services Transformational Programme at today’s Finance and Performance Committee, council has released the report publicly. More>>

ALSO:

Other Expensive Things:

Gordon Campbell: On The SAS Role Against Islamic State, And Podemos

Only 25% of the US bombing runs are even managing to locate IS targets worth bombing. As the NYT explains at length, this underlines the need for better on-the-ground intelligence to direct the air campaign to where the bad guys have holed up... More>>

ALSO:

Public Service: Commission Calls For Answers On Handling Of CERA Harassment

EEO Commissioner Dr Jackie Blue is deeply concerned about the way in which the State Services Commission has handled sexual allegations made against CERA chief executive Roger Sutton this week and is calling for answers. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Andrew Little’s Victory

So Andrew Little has won the leadership – by the narrowest possible margin – from Grant Robertson, and has already been depicted by commentators as being simultaneously (a) the creature of the trade unions and (b) the most centrist of the four candidates, which would be an interesting trick to see someone try in a game of Twister. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news