Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Dalton: Action welcomed on Southern Motorway improvements

Media Statement


15 May 2014


Action welcomed on Southern Motorway improvements

Funding for Auckland transport will mean work necessary to widen the Southern Motorway between Manukau and Papakura can begin next year, according to the chairperson of the Manurewa Local Board.

Angela Dalton congratulated the Government on $375 million of new capital funding for the New Zealand Transport Agency to accelerate $815 million worth of Auckland transport projects.

“Increasing the capacity of the Southern Motorway corridor is by far the best transport project anywhere in the Auckland region. The additional funding announced in the budget will mean three-laning the Southern Motorway southbound from Hill Road to Takanini can begin shortly.

“The total project includes more motorway lanes in Manurewa and Papakura, as well as crucial improvements to the Takanini northbound onramp and an upgrade to the Takanini Interchange.

“This has been the consistent call of the Manurewa Local Board for a number of years and a cornerstone of our advocacy. I am very pleased that it has been picked up as part of Budget 2015,” Ms Dalton said.

The accelerated construction period for additional motorway lanes and improvements to the Takanini Interchange means a project that as previously years away from commencement and completion can now start in 2014/15.

From a pure economic perspective, the benefit to cost ratio for this project is miles ahead of any other motorway project and far ahead of initiatives such as the unfunded City Rail Link and rail to the airport.

And from a local perspective, thousands of commuters know only too well the horrendous bottleneck that currently exists around Hill Road and Takanini.

“We make no apology for our relentless push to fast-track improvements to the Southern Motorway corridor, and we look forward to work commencing on the additional lanes,” Ms Dalton said.

End.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s
Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left. Even the victory by Labour’s Stuart Nash in Napier was the outcome of a strong showing by Conservative Party candidate Garth McVicar that split the centre-right vote... More>>

Election: National Win

With all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose.

Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party.

National ended the night on 48 percent, Labour 24.6 and the Greens 10. More>>

Overall Results | Live Results | Predictions |

 
 


Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Not-Especially New Plans: All Prisons To Become Working Prisons Under National

All public prisons in New Zealand will become full working prisons by 2017, and ex-prisoners will receive post-release drug addiction treatment if National is returned to government, says Corrections Spokesperson Anne Tolley. More>>

ALSO:

Māngere: "False Claim Of Matai Title" - Labour

National must explain why its candidate for Māngere Misa Fia Turner appears to be using a Matai title she is not entitled to, Labour’s MP for Māngere and Pacific Islands Affairs spokesperson Su’a William Sio says. A Matai title is a legally-recognised ... More>>

ALSO:

CPAG Report: No New Zealand Child Should Grow Up In Poverty

Child Poverty Action Group's flagship policy publication Our Children, Our Choice: Priorities for Policy calls for cross party political agreement to underpin an action plan to eliminate child poverty in New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news